General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read this if you're thinking about LED's or have questions about Load Equalizers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Read this if you're thinking about LED's or have questions about Load Equalizers

Being a chick, I'll admit, I'm more into how my bike looks versus how the durn thing works. When I went to buy my bike, all I heard the salesman say was "Blah, blah, blah, chrome, blah, blah, shiny, blah, blah, blah, turquoise/antique white, chrome, blah, blah". Start talking about Torque, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Maps, or the like and my eyes glaze over. (It's probably a lot similar to how many of you guys feel when a woman starts asking you your opinion on wallpaper or china patterns!) Every now and then though, that wee bit of testosterone coursing through my system kicks in and curiosity gets the better of me. At those rare times, I actually take interest in something other than "how pretty my bike looks" and become consumed with understanding just how or why something works - to get beneath the surface and get to know my bike better. (Awwww, it kinda sounds like I just might be falling in love!) Anyway, this time it was understanding LED’s and Load Equalizers. Since I’ve seen many questions regarding both, I thought I’d “share” this knowledge with all my new "friends" on HDForums!

I'm sure many of you "wrench-types" already know what Equalizers do and why we need them, so this stuff may be nothing new. But, if you are one of those that might have some questions about the "why's and wherefore's" of LED's and Load Equalizers, perhaps this will help.

I replaced my stock turn signals with LED's and now they're acting crazy!
Usually, when you remove incandescent bulbs from a blinker system and replace them with LEDs - the stock flasher relay begins to blink too fast. Flasher relays are designed to "tell" the operator a bulb is out by causing the flashers to blink fast when it detects a drop in power. Since LED's consume far less power than most regular bulbs, the relay "thinks" a bulb is out.

Alternatively, it is possible that your blinker system will stop working all together - either the blinkers will come on and stay on steady, or they will not come on at all, or the left and right indicators will illuminate at the same time. Basically, things go hay wire!

What can I do to prevent/fix that problem?
Install a Load Equalizer.

What exactly does a Load Equalizer do?
It adds just enough load to the system so the stock relay system does not "think" a bulb is out, which allows the relay to operate properly with the new LED turn signals.

Do I need one with my LED Accent Lights?
No

Do I need one with my LED Brake Light/Tail Light?
That depends. If you install one with the Run/Brake/Turn feature, then you will need a Load Equalizer. If you install a simple LED Tail Light/Brake Light w/o this feature, then you will not need one.

Can I run the stock turn signals with a LED Run/Brake/Turn Tail Light?
Yes, but because of the turn signal feature in the tail light, you will still need a Load Equalizer.

I want to install LED turn signals in both the front and rear, will 1 Load Equalizer handle both sets?
In most instances you will need to add a second Load Equalizer, one for each pair of turn signals. It would be best to double-check with the Manufacturer of the Load Equalizer. EDIT: I just added Radiantz Drugz LED front turn signals yesterday. Radiantz tech said I do not need a 2nd Equalizer with the setup I have.

Anything else I need to know about the Load Equalizers?
Yes. Because they add resistance to maintain proper function of the turn signals, these babys run hot. So, by design, their lifespan usually isn't very long. 2 - 3 years on average. Also, running your hazard flashers or turn signals for any length of time (say, 3 minutes or more per one Tech I spoke with) will likely fry the Load Equalizer due to exessive heat being generated.

What's so great about LED's anyway?
They are considerably brighter than conventional bulbs, which on a bike gives you a better chance of being seen. In addition, they use far less power than regular bulbs, produce considerably less heat, are impact resistant, last about 10 years (continuous use) on average, are in waterproof enclosures and illuminate 20% faster than standard bulbs.

Are all LED's the same/equally bright?
No, like anything else, they have different built qualities, some fit HD specifically and some are Universal, they can vary in intensity and of course, the cost between suppliers varies.
By all means, do your research. When I asked, the HDForum members seem to consistently like the ones from Radiantz, Custom Dynamics and Kuryakyn.

That's about it. PLEASE let me know if I missed something or have given out mis-information!

Last edited by monstead; 01-22-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Add information/correct mis-information
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done, thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really informative. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy Cow! I guess when you do your research, you go all out. That some good info!

Did you put LEDs on your bike?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get a good load equalizer and it will power front and rears , even during extended use such as parades and never get more than warm.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
get a good load equalizer and it will power front and rears , even during extended use such as parades and never get more than warm.
Any particular brand you recommend? Thanks.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, can you help me pick out some china?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

A load equalizer is not always necessary. There is a way to re-calibrate the load on the newer Harley turn signal modules. Unfortunately I can't remember how. When I hook up my trailer things work fine (more load) but when I unplug it the turn signals flash too fast (less load). I think if you press the TS button when you turn on the ignition the module resets for the load. Or maybe you press right then left then both it resets. Damn it sucks getting old...I just did this last August and now I don't remember how. But it can be done. The new module is adjustable for lower LED loads.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midlife rider
Any particular brand you recommend? Thanks.
I prefer the badlands . I nor my friends have ever had one go bad. For the bike in your sig , Badlands 3 , specially if you have the key fob safety. its pricey around 70 - 75 bucks ,but it won't put out any heat.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't know that. Didn't even know I needed to know that ... Now that I know, I'm glad I know now, what I didn't know then. Good to know. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Read this if you're thinking about LED's or have questions about Load Equalizers