General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read this if you're thinking about LED's or have questions about Load Equalizers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
juscoop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

As much as the question is asked, let's make this a sticky!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
I prefer the badlands . I nor my friends have ever had one go bad. For the bike in your sig , Badlands 3 , specially if you have the key fob safety. its pricey around 70 - 75 bucks ,but it won't put out any heat.
Thanks Zukeeper. Trying to get this done before Daytona...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the good info, now - about that wall paper.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Without me going into a lot of detail (you can see that I'm prone to doing that) I will answer zukeeper's question about getting a different load equalizer.

When I originally bought the bike, the Salesman recommended the LED taillight. Not really knowing what he was talking about, but thinking it sounded good, esp for safety, I said "Sure, add it to the ticket!"

What I ended up with was the Kuryakyn Panacea Run/Brake/Turn tail light, which I love, and the H-D incandescent run/brake turn signals. Well, long story short, about a month ago, I discover the turn signals aren't LED, so I start researching changing them out. DURING this research stage, all hell breaks loose with my alarm and my turn signals.

Bike goes to the dealer and I get on the phone asking tons of questions. Between myself and the Dealer, we discover that Kury Panacea is NOT compatable with non-Kury run/brake/turn stuff (such as the HD turn signals the Dealer installed). My bikes TSSM (or whatever it's called) was very confused, so my alarm and turn signals started going haywire. Dealer had to pull the HD turn signals and replace them with Kury Panacea. I asked my Dealer to install a Badlands L.E., but I found out, this Panacea setup ONLY works with the Kury Load Equalizer, which, by the way, doesn't allow me to use my hazard flashers for very long. That's why I WANTED to get the Badlands III. Grrrr!!! At least my Dealer did the right thing and credited me for the part/labor on the original install of the HD Turn Signals. BTW, they were supposed to flash when I hit my brakes, but because of them not being compatible with the Kury Tail/Brake Light, they apparently never flashed.

If I were doing it all over, I'd still get the LED setup like I have, but not get Kury...I'd go with Custom Dynamics or Radiantz. Apparently they're brighter and I really would like to be able to use my flashers w/o worrying about frying my Load Equalizer.

I did just order front LED turn signals from Radiantz. Didn't go with Kury because they don't offer a clear lens option. Now I need another load equalizer! The tech at Kury confirmed that it is okay to go with non-Kury parts on the front turn signals since the Panacea stuff only pertains to rear lights.

Whew! Looks like I ended up going into detail anyway!

Last edited by monstead; 01-21-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow I learned something today... Thanks for doing the research and sharing. I had no clue what load equalizers were.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Anything else I need to know about the Load Equalizers?
Yes. Because they add voltage to maintain proper function of the turn signals, these babys run hot. So, by design, their lifespan usually isn't very long. 2 - 3 years on average. Also, running your hazard flashers or turn signals for any length of time (say, 3 minutes or more per one Tech I spoke with) will likely fry the Load Equalizer due to exessive heat being generated.
Right answer but wrong reason. Voltage is fixed by the battery and charging system; it is neither added nor subtracted. LEDs consume less current, so the load equalizer works by adding back resistance to simulate the higher current draw of the original incandescant lamps.

Your statement above is correct if you just substitute the word "voltage" with "resistance".

Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM
monstead
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLTR08
A load equalizer is not always necessary. There is a way to re-calibrate the load on the newer Harley turn signal modules. Unfortunately I can't remember how. When I hook up my trailer things work fine (more load) but when I unplug it the turn signals flash too fast (less load). I think if you press the TS button when you turn on the ignition the module resets for the load. Or maybe you press right then left then both it resets. Damn it sucks getting old...I just did this last August and now I don't remember how. But it can be done. The new module is adjustable for lower LED loads.
Now see, this is one of those times when my eyes glaze over! I had to read this post about 3 times to focus! LOL!

Anyway, your post reminded me of something I pondered during my research. My thought was since our bikes have some sort of "signal relay" in our turn signal modules that recognize the drop in power to notify us when a bulb is out, perhaps there is some sort of dookicky or thingamajig that will stop that function all-together so the turn signals would not flash more quickly to notify you when there was a drop in power. Perhaps it's as simple of changing out the part. That way, there would be no need for a load equalizer for LED's since the bike wouldn't notice the lower power draw. Make sense? Of course, you realize, I have pretty much have no idea how that part of it works and if my great solution for a "Load Equalizer Free" world is even possible!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM
excel50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Wow I learned something today... Thanks for doing the research and sharing. I had no clue what load equalizers were.
I learned something too! I thought "load equalizers" were only on Lincolns and Cadillacs....

Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
monstead
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Thanks for the good info, now - about that wall paper.
Ha! Guess what? I hate picking out wallpaper (nor do I care for the looks of it - I prefer a more "clean" look). My solution is just to paint the wall! Much easier to pick out a color!

Quick Reply: Read this if you're thinking about LED's or have questions about Load Equalizers