General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learned something about tieing down bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of the wood block under the frame, I'm going to use that next time I trailer. One thing I do that works well for me is I tie down the rear from the swing arm; this allows the rear suspension to cycle freely as necessary and keeps the bike in line.
One thing I was taught as a previous flat bed truck driver is if the trailer was tipped over on its side, the load should not move. I apply this theory to tying my bike down. Straps are cheap. I use at least four good strong ones.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Well, you can call it anything you want, but it can, does, and will damage your front end if you pull too far.
I have seen scoots on trailers, heading for Sturgis, with the rear end so tight, spokes have 'popped' on the rear wheel. WAY TOO MUCH pressure.

The guys that come up from Az every year, to Sturgis, bring 6-8 scoots on one trailer behind a big azzed motorhome. Strap front wheel to chock. They put frame blocks under the frames that literally hold the rear wheel up off the trailer.
Then strap them from frame to trailer via eyebolts in trailer floor. Then one strap thru rear wheel, to eyebolt, to prevent scoot from getting any excessive fwd pressure against the chock, if you SLAM on the brakes.

I came home 4 yrs ago, and built myself a set of frame blocks. But I am a 'Nervous Nellie', so I use 2 more tie downs than they do, but it certainly works for them. IF you do this, just make sure you put the frame block near the rear of the frame, below swing arm pivot works best for me. WELL, except for the one WITHOUT a swingarm.
Everything that Gumby said. I was a Wells Cargo trailer dealer some years back, sold and rented motorcycle trailers. Seen bikes fall because the front wheel hopped out of the chock, seen the busted seals. Blocking the frame solves this, or buying a locking wheel chock as advertised.

But you think trailering is nerve wracking, try hand tying your scoot with ropes on a ferry. Done that a few times and they won't let you stay down with your scoot.