General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for all

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
roadrunningfatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question for all

new to forums but not to the life, have a question to the users here. We hold and ride in lots of functions to help other people and groups; charities, toy runs, blood runs, etc. how many if any here has bothered to check these groups to see if they support us? are they on our side on helmet, insurance, discrimination, etc, issues? if not why not, they take our money and time, are they using it against us? do you belong to your state ABATE, COC, biker down group, etc? if not why not? these people work for us but most people never bother. well.........

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

We should check out the charities we sponsor and select them carefully. Giving from the heart and not expecting something back is the norm, but giving from the heart and getting stabbed in the back is unacceptable.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I watch this pretty close, and my donated time, effort and $$ ONLY goes to those organizations that are supportive of motorcycles and our concerns. My greatest focus lately has been to the Montana Hope Project. It's predominately motorcyclists banning together to gather money for critically and terminally ill children in Montana. It provides a "Make a Wish" trip for them and their family during this most difficult time. Very worthwhile and sponsored in general by the Montana State Highway Patrol. We've provided over 300 children and their families with this once in a life time trip. Average for a trip is about $6000. All donated from caring, sharing folks; most of which ride motorcycles. Here's a website for anyone interested in participating....
http://www.montanahope.org/

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

If I feel a cause is worthy I will donate to it. I don't care about their politics or if they support something I believe in. Some go through life expecting something in return for what they do and that's fine. I'm not saying anyone else should feel as I do but the question was asked so I answered.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually only do "benefit rides" if I know for sure what the donation is really going to. Like local riders with families with special needs or if due to a tragedy they have high medical bills. Just seems like everyone is having a ride for something nowadays and think they are taking advantage of the situation. If they dont support us,I dont support them. my.02

Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
roadrunningfatboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by IronAss
If I feel a cause is worthy I will donate to it. I don't care about their politics or if they support something I believe in. Some go through life expecting something in return for what they do and that's fine. I'm not saying anyone else should feel as I do but the question was asked so I answered.
I asked the question because an event some of my bros and I were going to was found to support issues directly in contrast to our freedom to ride. I am the last person to tell people how to live or where to spend their money, but; we spend a lot of money and time supporting causes, as someone here said in one of his posts to me " motorcyclist are great people". I am not asking anything in return when I give but I find it offensive to think that the money I provided is being spent to shut down my lifestyle. I am a life member of my state ABATE and belong to COCs in 2 states while working to get one for mine, I also give blood for bros, and support most all events to help kids. If you look into their policies lots of charities have lobbyist trying to ban motorcycles. If you don't care about the issues, ride with your head in the sand while you can. There are a lot of new riders here and I think it is something to think about....

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We give to charities all the time and feel very good about it.Several things will stir me to action beyond any clubs,Helmet laws,and sounds like we are going to have to keep an eye on the noise zealots.We all have to be watch dogs,especially for the few knuckleheads that want their own little perfect world and will stop at nothing to create it no matter who it hurts or how it hurts them.The word? Selfish! Greedy! you all know what I am talking about.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrunningfatboy
I asked the question because an event some of my bros and I were going to was found to support issues directly in contrast to our freedom to ride. I am the last person to tell people how to live or where to spend their money, but; we spend a lot of money and time supporting causes, as someone here said in one of his posts to me " motorcyclist are great people". I am not asking anything in return when I give but I find it offensive to think that the money I provided is being spent to shut down my lifestyle. I am a life member of my state ABATE and belong to COCs in 2 states while working to get one for mine, I also give blood for bros, and support most all events to help kids. If you look into their policies lots of charities have lobbyist trying to ban motorcycles. If you don't care about the issues, ride with your head in the sand while you can. There are a lot of new riders here and I think it is something to think about....
I guess my choice of charities is limited. I support things. Like food banks, Vets organizations and local animal shelters. I can't imagine an org that wants to shut down bikes doing anything I would want to donate to in the 1st place.
I belonged to ABATE for a long time but don't anymore. But I got a queston for you...Why did they change their name? Was it for political correctness or what?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
roadrunningfatboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by IronAss
I guess my choice of charities is limited. I support things. Like food banks, Vets organizations and local animal shelters. I can't imagine an org that wants to shut down bikes doing anything I would want to donate to in the 1st place.
I belonged to ABATE for a long time but don't anymore. But I got a queston for you...Why did they change their name? Was it for political correctness or what?
I am not in the upper legions of ABATE national, as you know if you belonged each state has its own chapter with usually sub chapters in different areas inside the state. As for what the letters stand for has not changed, as time passes phrases come and go, we are not the same people we were 30 years ago, are you? the core issue is who's on you side and who's not and are you bothering to check before giving them your hard earned money. IronAss you live a state that has had more restrictions added than most in the last couple years. Do you really think they are going to stand with their hand out while telling you we really don't like your kind?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
roadrunningfatboy
Advanced

come on people I just saw there were 190 people who viewed this thread but only 8 responds. Nobody give a sh*t or what?

Quick Reply: question for all