General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for all

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I mostly quit giving to groups, churches and charitable organizations when I discovered the high percentage that went to big salaries and administrative costs.

I always give a buck or two to the wino on the corner with a sign stating that he will work for food. I know he won't and I have no idea what he stands for. If he spends the money for booze, I don't care. To me, charity does not have strings attached and I rather give to an individual.

I do give to an organization following a disaster such as Katrina.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I donate to those less fortunate, whether it's food, cash, furniture, time, or whatever. If you give with one hand and hold out your other, it's not donating...it's purchasing. I say give cause you want to give, not for what you might get back.
m2c

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM
sgtjeff
Cruiser

Originally Posted by roadrunningfatboy
come on people I just saw there were 190 people who viewed this thread but only 8 responds. Nobody give a sh*t or what?
You have to respond to a thread to show you give a sh*t?????

Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Got to laugh about this just a bit!!! maybe he's lookin for thread count..... hmmmmm???

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I didn't see where the original poster said anything about giving to a charity that gives him something in return in one way or another. What he DID say, was giving to a charity that was NOT doing something against your belief. Very big difference.

And I happen to agree with the original poster, many people give lots of money but have absolutly no idea where that money goes. As long as they feel good about themselves it all that matter. To me, this is as bad as donating and expecting something in return.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Biker's as a group donate more in a given year than any other group. Most poker runs are about raising money for someone in need at the local level.

Most of us don't need thanks or recognition.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a great way to find Charity rides are on bulletin boards at libraries, biker bars and Harley dealerships. These are usually rides that benefit a child or family in need. Sometimes a food pantry. Usually they are poker runs and it cost like - $25 or $30 per person. I have won 3 different poker runs. You get a gift of money for being the winner. Has anyone ever walked over to the family and given them that money? I do - everytime. Why? Because I got to spend the day riding with fellow bikers. We met up at bars and had some laughs. Perhaps went down a road I did not know about. So my donation was almost like paying to get into Six Flags for the day.

But when you walk over to the family that you just rode for and raised money for and you give them the money you "won". Giving them a hug and handing that money back and seeing the tears and the thankfulness in their eyes - heck no amount of money could make me happier.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think you gave of your time, and or money, to a worthy cause to get something in return. That doesn't seem like charity to me.
Marsh

Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

you do have a good point.and you are right about alot of it but there are some thing's that are not good.our local chapter of abate decided to bring kid's in for the furture of the bike seen. and that is good but most abate's have one problem they like to drink alot. i have no problem with that but not when kid's are involed.i check any ride i go on it is only right that we take care of both.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
roadrunningfatboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjake
I didn't see where the original poster said anything about giving to a charity that gives him something in return in one way or another. What he DID say, was giving to a charity that was NOT doing something against your belief. Very big difference.

And I happen to agree with the original poster, many people give lots of money but have absolutly no idea where that money goes. As long as they feel good about themselves it all that matter. To me, this is as bad as donating and expecting something in return.
Finally somebody gets it, no where in my post did I say not to give, nor did I say anything about asking for anything, give as much or little as you like, what I am saying is look at where your money is going.

Quick Reply: question for all