General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 10:47 PM
mrmike38z
|
Advanced
Default Anybody else noticed this?

I've noticed this for several years and I mentioned it to another rider buddy of mine and he finally paid attention and agreed with me. Most...almost all foreign bike riders wear full face helmets and Most Harley riders wear half helmets or less or none. And all crotch rocket guys wear full face helmets. Maybe its where I live but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. And I was wondering why. When I rode my Honda Shadow I wore a half helmet, I guess I was the exception.

Old 01-19-2009 | 10:53 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member

They get them free with the bike............

Helmet,no shirt,shorts and sandles.....real cool.....O ya and the gal on back in a bathing suit with no helmet and wearing sandles.....way to cool....

Old 01-19-2009 | 10:56 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned

Originally Posted by mrmike38z
I've noticed this for several years and I mentioned it to another rider buddy of mine and he finally paid attention and agreed with me. Most...almost all foreign bike riders wear full face helmets and Most Harley riders wear half helmets or less or none. And all crotch rocket guys wear full face helmets. Maybe its where I live but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. And I was wondering why. When I rode my Honda Shadow I wore a half helmet, I guess I was the exception.
It is something I have noticed. However when you see a Harley biker with a full face helmet - it looks odd. Seems standard on other bikes, Yamaha, kawasaki and Ninja's. The price of Harley gear - maybe we can only afford half a helmet. LOL

Old 01-19-2009 | 10:58 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe they are ashamed to show their faces.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:00 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

I think it has to do with riding styles. Most of the cafe/crotch rocket bikes are ridden by those that will give the impression they WILL be pushing the limits of safety. Harley riders on the other hand, we tend to be a more laid back crowd, more interested in the ride itself, rather than, how fast can we get there. I realize there are exceptions, but speaking in generalities, that's what I have observed.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:00 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned

Originally Posted by SamStone
Maybe they are ashamed to show their faces.
Funny - that too SamStone - never thought of that. They are ashamed to truly be seen. LOL That was great.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:01 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrmike38z
For the most part, yes. Most of the metric cruisers I see, the riders are also in half helmets. Never seen a crotchrocket rider in anything but a full face. But I've noticed many of them ride shirtless in the dog days of summer. Girl on the back in a bikini top and sandals. But always a full face helmet.

Last edited by bikergeoff; 01-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2009 | 11:09 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior

I ride with a full face helmet. I bought my first one way back in '69 or so whenever the very first full-face Bell Star helmets came out. I think it was about $60 bucks at the time, pretty much a fortune when I was making about $1.75 per hour. My Dad nearly flipped out. I used Bell's very effective sales slogan on him. "Dad, if I had a $10 dollar head, I would wear a $10 Dollar helmet." He replied, what a smart purchase I had made.

I think the deal with most HD riders is to make sure and fit right into the apparent style of gear worn by most ultracool HD riders, ya know to express the rugged individualism.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:14 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

For me, it's aerodynamics. Half-helmets pull and buffet like h3ll at speed.

No helmet, and you get peppered with chit, sunburned and windburned.

Try a good full-face on a 500 mile day and post a report.

$.02

Last edited by JBaker421; 01-19-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2009 | 11:17 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned

Originally Posted by Centerline
I ride with a full face helmet. I bought my first one way back in '69 or so whenever the very first full-face Bell Star helmets came out. I think it was about $60 bucks at the time, pretty much a fortune when I was making about $1.75 per hour. My Dad nearly flipped out. I used Bell's very effective sales slogan on him. "Dad, if I had a $10 dollar head, I would wear a $10 Dollar helmet." He replied, what a smart purchase I had made.

I think the deal with most HD riders is to make sure and fit right into the apparent style of gear worn by most ultracool HD riders, ya know to express the rugged individualism.

Well and this would be an "each their own" thing. For me - since Missouri it is state law that if you are on a bike - even in your driveway while getting ready to leave - you better have a helmet on. I love the air blowing through my hair. It isn't so hot, you know. I have never owned one - but people tell me they are pretty warm. But - what you feel is right - then it is right for you - ya know. As long as your comfortable - that is what is important.

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?