General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 11:32 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrmike38z
I've noticed this for several years and I mentioned it to another rider buddy of mine and he finally paid attention and agreed with me. Most...almost all foreign bike riders wear full face helmets and Most Harley riders wear half helmets or less or none. And all crotch rocket guys wear full face helmets. Maybe its where I live but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. And I was wondering why. When I rode my Honda Shadow I wore a half helmet, I guess I was the exception.
Full face here, all the time, no exceptions. I tried the half-dome, and the wind and everything drove me nuts. I couldn't concentrate on the road, and even with good goggles my eyes dried out. Forget that, I'm going full-face, thanks. Especially in the winter.

I've got my half dome still, in case I need it, but I never use it.

Old 01-22-2009 | 04:27 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

most metric rider's i see still try to fly and not wear a helmet. i have wore every kind of helmet that has been on the market.for the last 50 year's i like the half helmet's i dont have a problem with the wind. and i like the 3/4 helmet's for long road trip's just in case it turn's cold.but most of the time i dont wear one if i dont have to.

Old 01-22-2009 | 04:39 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I noticed the same thing for years ... I personally think it's just style or fashion. Full face helmets are acceptable by the crotch rocket crowd ... they strive for the best graphics on thier helmets, etc. The HD crowd more or less frowns upon those who wear helmets so we don't tend to get fashionable brain buckets. I wear mostly a half carbin helmet (flat black) and hate to cover my head with a full face.

I'll do it during bad weather but that about it. I like the idea of blocking my face from freezing temps and rain but that's the only time. I'm in the military and required to wear a DOT helmet, I think once I retire, the helmet goes.

Last edited by CSMHOG; 01-22-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2009 | 05:47 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

Live in FL and I choose (it's a choice here) to wear a helmet almost all the time - half-helmet. It's warm (usually) and I can hear things better. Would proably get myself a full-face too though if it were cold much of the time.

Last edited by RangeRat; 01-22-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2009 | 05:57 AM
F1J1
Tourer

I've worn a full face since 1976. Still do. Steed matters not. To me, anyhow.

Old 01-22-2009 | 05:59 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior

ya'll have a lot of misconceptions about (metric/sportbike) riders. i get a real laugh when i pull up to the local hd shop on my VTWIN metic. most don't acknoledge me, look the other way, snub me. funniest when i've got on my hd tshirt on, while riding my sportbike and pull up to the hd.

btw. i get a real laugh when ya'll don't wave. funny as hell!

it's all part of the fun when i decide to go knee draggin.

Old 01-23-2009 | 04:23 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RockyTopRider
ya'll have a lot of misconceptions about (metric/sportbike) riders. i get a real laugh when i pull up to the local hd shop on my VTWIN metic. most don't acknoledge me, look the other way, snub me. funniest when i've got on my hd tshirt on, while riding my sportbike and pull up to the hd.

btw. i get a real laugh when ya'll don't wave. funny as hell!

it's all part of the fun when i decide to go knee draggin.

It works both ways ... personally I don't care what you ride, I've been on all of them. Funny how this thread went from styles of helmets to why HD riders don't wave to metric riders?!

Old 01-23-2009 | 06:29 AM
Biped
Advanced

I ride a BMW, and Harley riders wave at me all the time. But that's off topic.

It seems to me that the manufacturers encourage this "Harley-half, metric-full" helmet kind of behavior in their own promotions. The HD website doesn't show riders in full face helmets, but that's almost all you see on the BMW site, for example.

My interest in Harleys is strictly in the nuts-and-bolts, but it's unavoidable to notice the Harley "culture". I think Harley is unique in this way, and I think the company knows it and tries to cultivate the image. They appear to be very successful in doing so. Wanting to belong to something larger than one's self is a powerful human urge, and the company plays it well. If the "belonging" includes looking a certain way, as a signal to the rest of the world that "I'm with them", then I think that some make the decision to choose form over function.

This is a separate observation from the "I'm free to choose, and this is what I choose" position. This is valid, and I'm enough of a libertarian to not disagree with it.

It's all fine with me; the idea of a Harley "brotherhood" is a powerful thing, with benefits to all who are part of it.

I'm not sure where I meant to go with this ramble. I had a point, but I forgot what it was. Anyway, if, say, I end up owning a V-Rod one day, I'll still be ATGATT, including my full-face, hi-viz, "radioactive insect" helmet. And I'll bet a lot of you guys will still wave.

Old 01-23-2009 | 06:38 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skootchnc
There's a lotta folks that bought a harley to "look cool" how can they look cool, when you can't see them?
I see WWII german helmets on sport bikes, beanies on Goldwings, full face helmets on sportsters.... wear what you want, when you want, and when the bill comes, pay it

Very true words,best post on this thread!!!!

Old 01-23-2009 | 06:43 AM
09Bagger
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrmike38z
I've noticed this for several years and I mentioned it to another rider buddy of mine and he finally paid attention and agreed with me. Most...almost all foreign bike riders wear full face helmets and Most Harley riders wear half helmets or less or none. And all crotch rocket guys wear full face helmets. Maybe its where I live but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. And I was wondering why. When I rode my Honda Shadow I wore a half helmet, I guess I was the exception.

I agree, more likely to see foreign cruiser rider with full face helmet than Harley Riders. Just an observation. Some probably actually like the full face, others are in hiding.

I myself like the half helmet as it feels open and free.

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?