General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 11:56 PM
Drum
Road Captain

I usually don't wear a helmet unless it's going to be a cold ride. The problem I have is I use to race and when I slip on my full face It feels like my whole body gets into race mode, but that's the way it is.

Old 01-21-2009 | 12:10 AM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member

Not only do the metrics tend to wear full face helmets, but there is a proliferation of riding suits...you know, the kind that are a dozen colors with a puck at the knee and high tech boots. This implies that they are riding at the extreme edge, I suppose. I've noticed, though that the asphalt always wins...

Old 01-21-2009 | 07:37 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I wear a FF when I ride. Could care less about the fashion police. I doubt if I would be here today, after t-boning a car several years ago. My FF helmet took the brunt of the impact.
I started wearing a FF because of the annoying, ever present, strong side winds in Kansas. Didn't even consider the safety part of wearing one, until the accident.
Tom

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:15 AM
speedshopfreddy
Stage II

Your right and it all has to do with image....lets face it harleys are now a fashion statment.....with harley producing 500,000 bike a year theres more bikes around than ever before...I seen a lot guys rockin 70s style bowling *****,have one my self..yard sale .50cents. i ride long distance 100k a year, Hwy use I use a china made fighter pilot rip off with 2 eye shields....beanies dont offer a lot of protection in the case of accidents....but I still wear mine around town so......

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:48 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I wear all three , half for really hot days , 3/4 for somewhat cooler days , but not real cold , full for cold and long trips ..

You'd be surprised how much better you feel after a long day with a FF ..

Aint never been on the fashion train ..

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:08 AM
Silverstone
Tourer

We have to wear a helmet whilst riding upon Her Majesty the Queens highway.
We can ride bollock-naked if we want though.
07 FLHT.

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:58 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Trying to figure the point of this post.

Personally I think the way alot of Harley riders dress to impress instead of saftey.

Just baffles me Non DOT helmets, asses chaps, fingerless gloves, tanks and so on.

Old 01-21-2009 | 03:16 PM
markdt
Road Captain

I wear my half helmet on warm days , and my full for highway riding and temps below 55 degrees. Here in the Davenport fl area there are a lot of sand trucks. Being sandblasted on the highway is not very fun..Mark..

Old 01-21-2009 | 03:53 PM
dcmassena
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikergeoff
For the most part, yes. Most of the metric cruisers I see, the riders are also in half helmets. Never seen a crotchrocket rider in anything but a full face. But I've noticed many of them ride shirtless in the dog days of summer. Girl on the back in a bikini top and sandals. But always a full face helmet.
I see a few crotch rocket guys wearing german style helmets around here.

Last summer I say a guy on his R1 decked out in his full leather gear, gloves, boots, matching full face helmet...the guy looked like he just drove off the track. On back his girl was in daisy dukes, a bikini top and a 3/4 helmet that looked 30 years old. I just waved at her and laughed.

Old 01-21-2009 | 04:48 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

how long have you been riding???

and you just now realized this?

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?