General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 03:08 PM
froogle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vector
That still doesn't explain why it's mostly Harley riders who don't wear a helmet. Surely other riders must have the urge to "experience all the elements being in the wind" too?

Me, I'd say it's just fashion. I think many Harley riders are very conscious of their appearance, and with a helmet they don't look as "cool".

I dont know. I rode 'crotch rockets' for about 20 or so years. They lean more, accelerate harder, stop quicker and are all round more twitchy than a Harley. I felt more 'mortal' on a sportsbike so I would always always wear full protective gear.

You don't hear of too many Harley riders high-sideing.

Old 01-20-2009 | 04:52 PM
streetglider357
Intermediate

I guess I'm one of the strange ones, I ride an 06 Street Glide and wear a full face helmet. I say the hell with looking cool, I also wear the HD orange safety vest.

Old 01-20-2009 | 08:27 PM
mlg911
Cruiser

It all boils down to what you like. I wear a half and wish I had a 3/4 for cold weather. Oh yeah the neopreme masks are great to keep you warmer and yes they scare the hell of people. That's okay too.. That means they are paying attention and see you.

Old 01-20-2009 | 08:51 PM
Swede99
Advanced

I rode a Night Rod Special for awhile and wore a full. Now with the Fattie, it's a cr@p shoot on which I will wear. Since I work on a Federal Installation, I have to wear not only the helmet, but a jacket and a reflective vest of some sort. It's 25 miles one way to work, on highway at that. Good thing my full face has vents in it. I guess as long as I can still wear my Oakleys inside of it, I will be ok. I figure it's my face and I need it to ride. My .02

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:02 PM
GuNsLiNgEr420
Cruiser

I wear a Full face Harley Davidson Black flamed Modular Helmet when riding around town and by myself, and when it is cold out. When riding with groups I wear my 3/4 Helmet. I rode 300 miles last weekend with my 1/2 helmet for the 1st time in 6 months and I will not use it again, I just did not feel safe after using the other helmets for so long. A few years back I got Ran off the interstate going 70, luckly It was winter and I had my Full face helmet, jacket, thermals and heavy gloves, When I got off the ground I had almost all my clothes tore off full face helmet cracked in 1/2 and the face of it almost completly ground off, broke ribs, bruises, and black and blue all over, and a fractured t6 in my back, If I had any other type on I would not be here today. Just my .02 !!!!

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:09 PM
Ricks Ride
Road Captain

I am currently wearing a full face. It is cold. I usually just crack the visor open just a hair and it allows me to hear better and keeps the shield from fogging up. When it is warmer, no helmet or a half-helmet.

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:54 PM
PHAZE
Intermediate

It's all about the temperature, conditions, riding with a windshield or without, and allergy season for me. I'll also change the glasses, goggles, contact lenses, etc. depending on the helmet and conditions. I've got half, full, and full face type helmets and manage to wear them all through the year.

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:55 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Got a closet full of helmets laying in the floor. Looks like a turtle farm. I were what I want when I want and sometimes I go without. Helmets are like bikes --all different. One of the few things I admire about all the kids riding crotch rockets is that they were their gear when I don't.

Old 01-20-2009 | 10:10 PM
Thornhammer
Tourer

Just full-face for me. If I want to feel the wind on my face, I can crack the visor. It's a GMax GM68S and has a ton of vents.

Tried going helmetless a couple of times and didn't enjoy it very much. Tried a 3/4 once, looked like The Great Gazoo.

Old 01-20-2009 | 11:18 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by soundman
I don't usually ride in the rain, but I don't leave the bike at home if there's just a chance of rain. I try to avoid rain in the winter, but in the summer it doesn't bother me too much. Just a pain to clean the bike back up. I ride a lot, so I'm bound to get caught in the rain from time to time.
I'm the same about riding in the rain... Prefer not to but depends on the weather forecast. If it's a slight chance of rain I ride. But of course sometimes it ends up raining so then I deal with it. I'm not fond of the 3 hour detailing job after is my biggest problem with rain.

I wear a FF Shoei X-11 more often than not anymore. Occasionally my HJC half helmet when in the local mountains here on a relaxing ride with no traffic. After landing on the back of my head on the freeway at 65 mph in November and walking away thanks to a FF helmet I'm more fond of them than I used to be! T-shirts? No more of that either - wearing leather is a religion after you've had road rash.

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?