General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:25 AM
kbear
Road Captain

Got both plus a non DOT. Mostly ride in the half because it is really comfortable.

Most of the crotchies ride in full around here.

The badass' around here have taken to wearing skull or someother face neoprene face masks that scare the Chit out of some of the Sunday cagers.

Nice pic there Gumpy both those guys could fit in those jeans with room for you I'm thinking. Big set of pants for someone to fill. Would not like to see that on a bike have to add air to the tires...

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:45 AM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior

My girlfriend won't ride on my Electraglide without a full-face helmet. She's an ER nurse who has seen to much. If I had a bike that would do 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds with a top end of 160-185 mph, I would were a full-face helmet.

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:57 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I think it is a fashion issue. Yes the "F" word. Metric rockets are modeled after racing bikes and racers where full face helmets. Therefore riders of crotch rockets wear them too. Harley's are modeled after the original bad boy cycles and those original free riding outcasts wore no helmet or just a small one.

Old 01-20-2009 | 10:21 AM
froogle
Cruiser

I'm with 10ring. I have a Shoei X-11 matt-black for cold and blasts down the interstate to work. Cruising around town, especially when the heat gets up, I'll wear a 3/4.

I'm also one of those weirdos that used to do track days on sport bikes and no the value of a decent riding gear, so even when it hits 100 degrees here you'll still see me in boots, leathers, often gloves, and a helmet.

I could do the t-shirt thing and sandals thing but I figure if I wear a helmet then as well I'd be a living vegetable with no limbs. Or, I could go the 'look I'm so cool' route and wear nothing on my head here in FL, but I've been the emergency room to have a fly surgically removed from a friends eye socket after he hit it at 50.

So, I'll stick with a nice big face shield on either my Shoei or my 3/4. If you see me and think I look like a dork, that's fine. I don't know you, never met you and really couldn't give a crap. But when we get out on the road and nail it wide open, I'm not the one wincing at the crap hitting my face, or the wind ripping tears from my eyes.

Old 01-20-2009 | 12:40 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior

When I'm commuting or riding in heavy traffic I wear a full face. The risk of a serious accident is very high. I wear a half helmet when I'm riding in a group. A group of bikes is more visible, lowering the risk of an accident.

Old 01-20-2009 | 01:02 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by schumacher
I have both, and I wear both. Like mentioned above, if there's a good chance of rain, I'll wear the full.
I think a lot of people think they'll be looked at as "less manly" if they are seen on a Harley with a full face.
These are the same people asking thier wives if thier jeans make them look fat.
HA Right on.

Old 01-20-2009 | 01:27 PM
Pappy 05 Heritage
Tourer

I wear a half helmet all the time because a full face helmet restricts my vision and hearing. I don't know if its the brand of helmet I have but I definitely can't see or hear as good as I can in my half helmet. Maybe I need to check out other brands because I see an advantage to a full face helmet when the weather turns cold and living in Missouri, I have to wear one anyway. Here in Central Missouri (University of Missouri) crotch rocket riders all wear full face helmets or at least the ones I see.

Old 01-20-2009 | 01:45 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Always worn a full face. I also started back in the 70's with a Bell star. Don't feel safe without one now!

Old 01-20-2009 | 02:39 PM
Vector
Cruiser

Originally Posted by travroc
Wrong. I believe most who wear 1/2 helemts, me included, do so because we just want to experience all the elements being in the wind. Has nothing to do with fashion. Have you actually seen how ugly some of these mushroom half helmets can be.
That still doesn't explain why it's mostly Harley riders who don't wear a helmet. Surely other riders must have the urge to "experience all the elements being in the wind" too?

Me, I'd say it's just fashion. I think many Harley riders are very conscious of their appearance, and with a helmet they don't look as "cool".

Old 01-20-2009 | 02:48 PM
harley1425
Advanced

Originally Posted by BIK88CHK
Well and this would be an "each their own" thing. For me - since Missouri it is state law that if you are on a bike - even in your driveway while getting ready to leave - you better have a helmet on. I love the air blowing through my hair. It isn't so hot, you know. I have never owned one - but people tell me they are pretty warm. But - what you feel is right - then it is right for you - ya know. As long as your comfortable - that is what is important.
Hey BIK88CHK, where in Missouri are you. I live in Joplin and just wondered where you were.

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?