General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 04:50 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

There's a lotta folks that bought a harley to "look cool" how can they look cool, when you can't see them?
I see WWII german helmets on sport bikes, beanies on Goldwings, full face helmets on sportsters.... wear what you want, when you want, and when the bill comes, pay it

Old 01-20-2009 | 05:00 AM
hpfatboy
Banned

Harleys and full coverage helmuts dont mix. Hey, how cool does it look seeing a brother on a HOG with a full helmut. (NOT) IT DOESNT!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2009 | 05:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Yup same around here full face with shorts,tee shirt,and sneakers.Wow! Now that looks well thought out.

Old 01-20-2009 | 05:25 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior

I kept my full face helmet when I got traded in the Hayabusa for the highway rides.I do not want a bug hitting my face at 70mph. In the city I will wear my half helmet. Just my personal choice.

Old 01-20-2009 | 05:34 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mrmike38z
I've noticed this for several years and I mentioned it to another rider buddy of mine and he finally paid attention and agreed with me. Most...almost all foreign bike riders wear full face helmets and Most Harley riders wear half helmets or less or none. And all crotch rocket guys wear full face helmets. Maybe its where I live but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. And I was wondering why. When I rode my Honda Shadow I wore a half helmet, I guess I was the exception.
I find it really funny... I know stereotypes aren't usually valid, but for some reason, motorcycles and helmets can definately be categorized...

Sportbikes... full face with lots of graphics, shorts,t shirt and sneakers
BMW - solid color full face, ballistic nylon everywhere
Cruisers - 1/2 helmet or less, T shirt, jeans
Goldwings - solid color 3/4 helmets (husband and wife) that match the bike, with those little intercom microphones in front of their mouths, matching shiny nylon jackets.

Old 01-20-2009 | 05:36 AM
hpfatboy
Banned

Originally Posted by llbigbird
I kept my full face helmet when I got traded in the Hayabusa for the highway rides.I do not want a bug hitting my face at 70mph. In the city I will wear my half helmet. Just my personal choice.
Ide rather take a bee to the head, than wear that pumpkin on my head.

Old 01-20-2009 | 05:56 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Ide rather take a bee to the head, than wear that pumpkin on my head.
Well, if'n you have such an aversion to 'punkinz', then jus' wear a 'full faced' pineapple instead.
At least the first ppl to the accident will have 'fruit snackies' til the paramedics arrive.

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:04 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Harleys and full coverage helmuts dont mix. Hey, how cool does it look seeing a brother on a HOG with a full helmut. (NOT) IT DOESNT!!!!!!!!
I wear my full face this time of year because if there's no ice on the roads, I'm riding no matter what the temps are. At that point, I don't care what others think is cool looking, especially if they've put their bike up for the winter. I wear my half helmet during the summer. I wear what works for me and allows me to enjoy my bike the most. That's what I bought my bike for anyways, not to make a fashion statement. Raingear doesn't look cool either, but it sure make the ride better if you get caught in it. I guess you probably don't ride in the rain or when the temps get below 70.

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:12 AM
palmettosunshine
Cruiser

The very first helmet I bought was a Harley Jet II 3/4. Didn't feel comfortable leaving the dealership on my new (to me) bike after having taken 11 years off from riding. Bought a full face for winter riding. Have since bought 3 half helmets. When I traded my Dyna for the Road King I have found the only helmet I can wear comfortably is one of the half helmets. The 3/4 and the full face buffet me to death with the windshield. I would prefer to have more coverage but the buffeting makes the ride too unpleasant to be safe. I HAVE ridden with no helmet, and what a free feeling, but just don't want to deal with the aftermath if I go down without one, not to mention my girlfriend would absolutely freak out if I left the house without one.

Maybe this spring when the windshield comes off I'll go back to the 3/4. But yes I agree, around here, most sport bike riders wear a full face helmet. And shorts with no shirt....

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:22 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by soundman
i wear my full face this time of year because if there's no ice on the roads, i'm riding no matter what the temps are. At that point, i don't care what others think is cool looking, especially if they've put their bike up for the winter. I wear my half helmet during the summer. I wear what works for me and allows me to enjoy my bike the most. That's what i bought my bike for anyways, not to make a fashion statement. Raingear doesn't look cool either, but it sure make the ride better if you get caught in it. I guess you probably don't ride in the rain or when the temps get below 70.
Guys like you are few and far between. Find no pleasure at all riding in the rain, why would you? for that matter, anyone. Cold is fine, can always wear a ski mask. After all, i am NORTH of the border. Thats all we get here is rain and freezing cold temp. Makes me wonder some times why i even have a bike. Only insure 6 mon. out of the year. Enjoy your ride in the rain SOUNDMAN, see you when you get back.

Last edited by hpfatboy; 01-20-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?