General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:19 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

Very true for whatever reason. I always had a full face on my metrics and never really pushed the limits, but now with the Ultra, a half. I love the mobility of the half and still wear a full face in inclement weather. Half helmets would look really strange on a crotch rocket.

Last edited by tima; 01-20-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2009 | 11:20 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

We have a stinking helmet law in MI. If it were modified for adult choice- I'd never wear it again. As soon as I enter a free state, I remove it. To each his own, but I prefer not to wear a helmet.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:21 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

There is a guy that rides a Buell around here that wears a non DOT 1/2 helmet. Also see a lot of metric cruisers with 1/2's.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:37 PM
madden23
Road Master

I have seen, Harley riders ask do you wear a helmet(state permitting), metrics ask what kind of helmet do you wear?It's a different mindset, not a bad thing just different.

Old 01-19-2009 | 11:46 PM
gascap13
Road Captain

Here on the Central Coast of California it is VERY common to see a Harley rider with a full face helmet. Many of the guys that wear half helmets wear bandanas or face masks. Some will say that it is for sunburn but my guess is that it's for anonymity, posin' like a bad azz (yes the bad azz boyz wear the full helmets around here) or most importantly not showing the LEO's that yer loaded! You know... All the while, cruising with that illegal smile!

Oh yeah, the crotch rockets almost all wear aerodynamic, racer type $$ full face helmets as where the bikers are wearing black & round nondescript full helmets.

Just my observations.... But hey, I'm the guy that sees bikers wearing their visors upside down on lid helmets.... that's another post. As for me... it's a flat black 3/4 with the visor worn as it was intended to be worn.

Last edited by gascap13; 01-20-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2009 | 12:16 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Solitaree1
I think it has to do with riding styles. Most of the cafe/crotch rocket bikes are ridden by those that will give the impression they WILL be pushing the limits of safety. Harley riders on the other hand, we tend to be a more laid back crowd, more interested in the ride itself, rather than, how fast can we get there. I realize there are exceptions, but speaking in generalities, that's what I have observed.

Not to mention the fact that all the front fairing does is ensure that anything (bug, stones, ect) is GOING to get you right in the grill. I have a couple half helmets that I never wear, because getting pelted in the face for 4+ hours at a time sucks. I also almost ALWAYS ride with a jacket, full armored, all leather sometimes my preforated, sometimes solid leather. It's a different culture regarding safty gear really. Chaps are not adequate for anything but wind protectoin, vests are also laughable, and non-dot novelty lids as well. Serious sport riders have all armored gear anyway usually, because they don't let us on the track without it. I for one own a two-peice and 3 one-peice suits that are all CE level 2+ armored along with numerous gloves and boots all to the same standards or higher. Lowside at over 60mph and walk away from it you will see why.

Not to mention that due to a taller riding posture any get-off is almost assured to involve smacking your head, and half/three-quarter helmets don't (in my opinion) have enough coverage to save your jaw if you go over the bars for any reason. Weather I'm riding to work at 40mph or out doing me "spirited" riding. Plus if I'm going to be required to put ON a helmet it going to be a full face. I even have a Nolan flip-up so I can smoke in traffic.

Old 01-20-2009 | 12:41 AM
PS-Cowboys
Road Master

From my BMW experience (seems to be lightsyears ago) - if you are riding the Autobahn at 130 mph a half helmet doesn´t feel really good .....

Old 01-20-2009 | 01:49 AM
travroc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Centerline
I think the deal with most HD riders is to make sure and fit right into the apparent style of gear worn by most ultracool HD riders, ya know to express the rugged individualism.
Wrong. I believe most who wear 1/2 helemts, me included, do so because we just want to experience all the elements being in the wind. Has nothing to do with fashion. Have you actually seen how ugly some of these mushroom half helmets can be.

Old 01-20-2009 | 02:10 AM
Buckhorns
Intermediate

I have about 8 helmets. 3 of them are 3/4 with flip ups and the rest are 1/2 helmets. The last 5-6 years I only wear this one , 1/2 helmet that I have gotten used too and will sell all the rest when I get a chance. Never did wear a Full face although I tried a couple of then on to see how they felt. Seemed to me that the full face restricted my view way too much.
That's just me.

Old 01-20-2009 | 02:27 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by PS-Cowboys
From my BMW experience (seems to be lightsyears ago) - if you are riding the Autobahn at 130 mph a half helmet doesn´t feel really good .....
I agree PS-Cowboys; when I'm on longer trips it's always a full-face, especially when in Germany. Tooling around with the buddy's or mama on a Sunday afternoon and I wear my Davida jet helmet

Quick Reply: Anybody else noticed this?