General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 07:46 AM
Double3
Tourer

What is this helmet thing you guys are talking about?

Old 01-23-2009 | 08:13 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

That was one of the first thing I noticed when I started to ride, noticed it before that but really didn't think about it. I guess it's like having a three piece suite on and have running shoes on. It's just out of place for a Harley rider to have a full face. Even when I wear my 3/4 helmet for cold riding I feel funny. I also look at it as part of their aero dynamic set up. Yeah, don't you just like the safety awareness when you see a riders with bathing suite and has the appearance of doing the "doggy" style. I guess it's cool to wear very little and zipped through traffice just to stop before you at the light.

Old 01-23-2009 | 08:19 AM
Phil K
Road Captain

Seems like a lot of HD riders here who wear full face helmets. Tell ya the truth..here in Ohio i rarely see an hd rider with a helmet at all..let alone a full face. I always think i'll try a helmet..until i put one on and can't hear, can't see,it fogs up at stop lights,and generally feels like a fishbowl on my head. Makes me feel detached from my surroundings and uncomfortable to the point of not wanting to ride if i have to wear one. I've been knocked off a bike before..did a somersault onto a gravel drive..helmetless...and never touched my noggin. Yeah...lucky..i know...but truthfully..unless they make me..i doubt i'll voluntarily wear a bucket on my head.

Old 01-23-2009 | 08:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by SamStone
Maybe they are ashamed to show their faces.
LOL... So the question is are they ugly or is it the bike??? LMAO

Old 01-23-2009 | 08:33 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soundman
I wear my full face this time of year because if there's no ice on the roads, I'm riding no matter what the temps are. At that point, I don't care what others think is cool looking, especially if they've put their bike up for the winter. I wear my half helmet during the summer. I wear what works for me and allows me to enjoy my bike the most. That's what I bought my bike for anyways, not to make a fashion statement. Raingear doesn't look cool either, but it sure make the ride better if you get caught in it. I guess you probably don't ride in the rain or when the temps get below 70.
This is a man that fully understands. It's all about function. Each helmet has its own benefits and drawbacks. I only have two helmets now. A Harley full-face with the flip-up visor and a carbon fiber DOT half. Once it gets cold (rare in Florida) I break out the full-face. If I'm riding to work and I start the day in the rain, break out the full-face. Any other time, I'm using the half.

Old 01-23-2009 | 04:51 PM
tbrocco
Cruiser

I am with you, jbaker421. A face full of sh..t and a half helmet that tries to pull your head off over 50 mph is just not for me. So what if I look like Darth Vader. Harley guys are supposed to be individuals who don't care what others think anyway - aren't they?

Old 01-23-2009 | 05:54 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser

I know for me when I rode Sport Bikes I was younger and was all about going fast. I only wore a helmet when I was on the Highway, I would go lidless when crusing, but it was a full face helmet. Now Im a little older and I ride a much waited for 09 FXDC partly cause I am drawn to the more layed back crowd now and partly because I want to share riding experiences with my wife of 12 years. I wear a half shell now and in the past week have decided that my first upgrade will be a wind screen due to getting pelted in the face by passing sand trucks. Any way I guess that was a long way to say when i rode sport bikes full face and now on the Harley Half lid

Old 01-23-2009 | 06:01 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SamStone
Maybe they are ashamed to show their faces.

Great one.

Old 01-29-2009 | 05:48 AM
apbtlvr
Road Captain

I've gone full circle. When I bought my dyna in '02 I got a matching HD full face, then swapped to a D.O.T half, then no helmet, and finally state law forced me to wear a novelty beanie. Somewhere hayabusa's came into my life and I wear a black full face helmet on the busa. Then recently my dyna got a big power increase so off came the beanie and on came a black metallic Arai open face. If I'm honest with myself I know that each day I ride at some point I'll exceed 100 mph. The question is not if I'll go down but when. I'd rather have some semblance of my mind left rather than being a vegetable as well as missing limbs.

Old 01-29-2009 | 06:15 PM
meveratt
Tourer

Originally Posted by mrmike38z
I've noticed this for several years and I mentioned it to another rider buddy of mine and he finally paid attention and agreed with me. Most...almost all foreign bike riders wear full face helmets and Most Harley riders wear half helmets or less or none. And all crotch rocket guys wear full face helmets. Maybe its where I live but I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. And I was wondering why. When I rode my Honda Shadow I wore a half helmet, I guess I was the exception.
Around here most "cruiser" riders wear DOT half-helmets, the hardcore HD guys often wear the novelty helmets, and the sportbike riders all wear FF. I have a FF for crap weather, but prefer my DOT half for everyday -- I figure if I have to wear a helmet, it may as well be some use.