General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you help ID this bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Lefty5string
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help ID this bike

I just digitized some old family videos my dad had and found one of his old bike. He never told me about it and he's gone now so i can't ask him but would like to find out what he rode. He is riding with my aunt in the beginning. To help the timeframe, he would have been 81 this year. the kid riding it in the second part is my uncle who is now 61. Any help would be great. thanks

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76569814&hl=en

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best guess would be a very late Duo Glide early 60's or a very early Electra Glide from the mid 60's.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left..... I dont know the exact year/such for your dad's bike, all I can tell you is I watched and thought it was cool as hell. Kinda neat to have the lineage. My Dad's dad, whom I never met, rode, my dad rode and now I do. My dad spoke about his dad riding down the road with his feet on the handlebars streched out on a bike that looked like you dad's, but in blue. So thanks for the memory of what would have been my Grandfather......

Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Late '50's Duo Glide, maybe '57-60. FLHF more than likely.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
intempestivus
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be a Duo-Glide it would have to be at least a '58 as that's the first year of the full rear suspension, thus the change in name from the Hydra-glide to the Duo-glide. The first Duo-Glides also had the "suspension" seat post carried over from the Hydra and though it's hard to tell, this one appears to have that feature as well. I paused it several times to make sure it was a pan and as far as I can tell it is. All that to say this, I agree with some of the other guys, it's probably a 58-60 Duo-Glide.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me give it a shot.
How unfortunate, the pic I was so hoping to find (I stopped the vid, and scrolled second by second, YES, ****!!!! ) would be seconds # 39, 39 1/2 and 40, where he rides by in front of the camera. It jumps right past where you would have been able to see the tank badge.
So without that, here's what I could finger out.

It has a tombstone tail light (end of vid). That gets you 47 - 54. (ALL hardtails, Duo-Glide is '58)

It has a Hydra-Glide on it. So now that's 49 - 54.

Next, it appears to have hand clutch, foot shift. That now gets you to 52 - 54. (IF hand shift, then 50 or 51)

I can't make the bags out that well, BUT most came with the same bag, from again, 47 - 57. There were a couple of 'one' year wonders, but his do not appear to be those.

IF you can find a still pic of him with it, and the tank badge visible, I believe you can nail it down even more.

So after all that mumble jumble, I am guessin' 1952, 53 or 54. (UNLESS someone went to all the work to change out that rear fender on a scoot with very few if any yrs on it)

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 01-19-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Let me give it a shot.
How unfortunate, the pic I was so hoping to find (I stopped the vid, and scrolled second by second, YES, ****!!!! ) would be seconds # 39, 39 1/2 and 40, where he rides by in front of the camera. It jumps right past where you would have been able to see the tank badge.
So without that, here's what I could finger out.

It has a tombstone tail light (end of vid). That gets you 47 - 54. (ALL hardtails, Duo-Glide is '58)

It has a Hydra-Glide on it. So now that's 49 - 54.

Next, it appears to have hand clutch, foot shift. That now gets you to 52 - 54. (IF hand shift, then 50 or 51)

I can't make the bags out that well, BUT most came with the same bag, from again, 47 - 57. There were a couple of 'one' year wonders, but his do not appear to be those.

IF you can find a still pic of him with it, and the tank badge visible, I believe you can nail it down even more.

So after all that mumble jumble, I am guessin' 1952, 53 or 54.

Geeeze man why don't ya give the rest of us a shot at it. I figured the best way to ID it was to look at the tank and the bags, but I didn't even get a chance to research it.
I got to give it to ya, you know your stuff.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Da Gump.......you are an instant legend for that ****, yet impressive tid bit. It was like watching Hendricks play....... I am all giddy like a young girl..... LMAO. Seriously, Great Job...

Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Lefty5string
Intermediate

ok i do graphics so i brought out the best frames i could from the footage and enhanced them. thanks much for all the quick responses!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM
propane_peddler
Tourer

All I know, is thats a cool old video

Quick Reply: Can you help ID this bike