General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you help ID this bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

To help you out a little bit Gumby,hand shift was an option up till early 70,s.Like now there are people that dont want any part of change.In 58 the factory put the shifter on the front downtube instead of the tank.You could still buy the parts to change back to a foot clutch and a hand shift till about 78 or so.I,m only aware of this cause a friend of mine,s father bought a new flh every 3 yrs and would only ride a foot clutch. If I remember right he bought his last new one in 76 and the dealer had to put on the handshifter off his old one,as parts from the factory were hit and miss.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Lefty5string
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
Very cool video. You're lucky to have that bit of footage of your family, very few were affluent enough to have a Harley and "moving picture" camera equipment.
well he had to sell the Harley to help buy our first trailerhome when i came along so i think the camera and bike were about all he had back then. ha.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nomad billy
To help you out a little bit Gumby,hand shift was an option up till early 70,s.Like now there are people that dont want any part of change.In 58 the factory put the shifter on the front downtube instead of the tank.You could still buy the parts to change back to a foot clutch and a hand shift till about 78 or so.I,m only aware of this cause a friend of mine,s father bought a new flh every 3 yrs and would only ride a foot clutch. If I remember right he bought his last new one in 76 and the dealer had to put on the handshifter off his old one,as parts from the factory were hit and miss.
I can't swear to it, but didn't the Servicar's keep the hand shifter late into the 60's?
There's a nice old gentleman in his later 70's who rides to the local cruise nites on his 62 (?) Servicar and it has a hand shifter. Its a retired 45" flathead Rochester PD bike. The lever on the clutch side (to us) actually controls the old style fender mounted siren.

Neat old bike and really nice guy. Hope he's OK I haven't seen him or the bike in some time.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
joromu
Tourer

Lefty, you say that in the second picture it is your uncle riding it and he is 61 years old. Wouldn't he know the information you are looking for?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Originally Posted by propane_peddler
All I know, is thats a cool old video
I was thinking same thing...like from a setting in Field of Dreams

Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Lefty5string
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joromu
Lefty, you say that in the second picture it is your uncle riding it and he is 61 years old. Wouldn't he know the information you are looking for?
I asked him. he didnt know much about it other than my dad sold it to buy the trailer. My dad was 20 years older than him so they didnt grow up together.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Master at Arms
Stage I
Talking New information for you regarding your photos...

I thought you may wish to know,,,from what I can see in your pic, that is a shift foot clutch model. No help on the year, just look above the tank badge and you'll see the guide bracket for the shift rod and it's very evident he has his foot on something other than the floorboard.