General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You never think it will happen to you

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. What a shame. I always hate hearing these horror stories, and anything involving accidents. Glad it wasn't more serious.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankjake
Or at least you hope it never does, but yesterday I guess it was my time.

After having a short but nice ride to breakfast, we were heading back toward home. I’m on a 5-lane highway, 2 lanes in each direction and a center lane for left turns.

Well some idiot decided to make a left from the traffic lane instead of moving over into the center turn lane. (I didn't know this until after the fact) The car behind him slams on the brakes, and so does the car in front of me. But I wasn’t so lucky. By the time I realized what was happening, I couldn’t do anything but hit the car. There was a concrete divider to my left and a bus on my right. Just three car lengths ahead was the beginning of the center turn lane. I did hit the brakes but just couldn't stop in time.

All I can remember is thinking in that split second was “I wonder how bad this is gonna hurt”. I hit the car, flew off the bike, hit the trunk lid and rolled up onto the roof of the car, where I landed on my back. It all happened so fast, faster than you can even imagine. All I could do was lie there in extreme, agonizing pain. I was afraid to try and move anything but my back hurt so much, I had to pull my legs up. Thank God I was able to do that. Seconds later I hear a woman saying “don’t move”. She assured me help was on the way. I was laying on my back, on top of a car (don’t even know what kind of car it was), sun glaring in my eyes and feeling so much pain.

Then I hear voices asking me all kinds of questions and one saying “I can’t believe 911 put me on hold”. I have no idea how many people had stopped but everyone was assuring me help was on the way and to just “hang in there”.

I seemed like only a few minutes that I could hear the sirens, then someone pulling off my sunglasses, asking me if I was in pain, then if I could move my toes, fingers, legs, arms etc. I had my full-face helmet on (thank God). I vividly remember the crash sound as my helmet hit the car. I must have landed mostly on my back because that’s where most of the pain was.

My buddy who was riding behind me saw everything and was not involved, it just happened so fast, there was nothing anyone could have done short of the idiot NOT trying to turn left from the traffic lane. Of course he drove off and police couldn’t do anything. I’m sure technically it wasn’t his fault anyway, they always say if you hit someone from behind, it’s your fault. So I’ll have to live with that.

So after lots of x-ray and CT scans, seems all I have is a fractured L2 on my spine (whatever in the heck that is). Supposedly nothing to be greatly concerned about. What I mean is, it not is a place that would cause paralysis. Again, thank God for that. But I’m in a lot of pain, stuck in a back brace and the worse part, waiting for my bike to get fixed.

My buddy said it didn’t really look as bad as he thought it would. Front fork split, spraying oil everywhere, front brake lever broke, one front turn signal broke, one foot peg bent, pipes not even scratched, he said there might be a small ding in the tank but other than that, he couldn’t “see” much more damage. Of course it won’t be until they take it apart where they can see everything that needs fixing.

So I gotta say, you never think it’s going to happen to you. I’ve been riding for 35 years and this is my first accident and hopefully the last. I have always thought I ride more caution than the average rider. I wear a full-face helmet, I thought I was always aware of my surroundings and I don’t do stupid stuff on my bike. It just shows it CAN happen to anybody and any time. If this message can do anything, I hope it will make at least one person be a little more aware. I would hate to read another story similar to this one.

Sorry this was so long, I've been taking pain meds all day.

Thanks for reading and please ride safe.

I'm glad you're still around to tell us about this. Sorry to hear about your injuries and repairs. This reminds us all that we are very vulnerable out there, and it doesn't take much to put us in harms way. I know I'm always extra careful after reading stories like this. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
That sux bad man, glad you are ok and will recover. For us locals, what street were you on?
Had just finished breakfast in Boulder City, heading back toward Vegas on the main hwy. The person who decided to stop in the traffic lane, was trying to turn left into Taco Bell, but they didn't go into the center turn lane.

I am NOT trying to put the blame on this person, I know there are so many "what if's" but I guess it all boils down to the fact that I didn't see the stopped cars in time to stop. The other cars that slammed on their brakes, almost hit this guy, but they were just a little quicker to stop than I was. I was not speeding nor was I tailgating. In fact, I was only going 20 to 25 and the speed in that area is 35. I've been thru that seciton of town many times but I'll tell you, the next time I do, I'll be giving myself and everyone else around me a lot more distance.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts. Today is 3rd day since it happened. I'm still in a lot of pain but it is getting better. Go back to Dr tomorrow. LIke most of you have said, I'm very lucky and thankful it wasn't worse.

My bike made it over to the dealer yesterday and they said it wasn't "too bad". Just from looking at it, they say mostlky cosmetic stuff but they won't know everything until they start taking it apart.

And just to let you guys know, the cops on the scene were great, very caring, respectful and re-assuring that it would be okay. My buddy said the tow company was very respectful of the bike and made sure it was upright when they put it on the truck. Same thing when they got to the yard and when they took it to the dealer. That means a lot to me.

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but the lady in the car I hit said she was fine, with no injury and I am thankful for that also. I would hate to think I hurt an innocent person.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, glad you are OK and hope you are feeling better. Maybe your ordeal will keep other rides a little more aware of the vehicles around them and might even save one of us poor soles.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

Everytime I read the details of where someone has been in an accident, I pray for their quick recovery, and hope the accident has somehow made me a safer rider.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

Good to hear you are recovering. Getting back in the saddle could be a challenge mentally and physically. I hope your bike can be fixed the way you want it or maybe get a new one. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take it easy and you'll be riding again quicker than you think. Get well soon.