General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Superiority?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley Superiority?

It's not us, it's them.

Coming up on my first full year owning a Harley, I've come across a lot of other people on bikes, HD and otherwise. Almost every time, the other guy starts out with "It's just a Honda..." or something to that effect. It's then followed by a rationalization of why they spent less. I've never been asked how much I paid for my bike, and I've never once tried to justify the expenditure to those who know what I did pay.

The guys at either end of my street have a Boulevard and a VTX. Talking with them individually, I suggested we should get a neighborhood ride going. They were surprised when I said this, they figured I "wouldn't ride with them" because I had a Harley. I told 'em they were being ridiculous.

My buddy and I were out and about and stopped into a local Kawasaki dealer. [We were on HDs] He wanted to check out a new Concours 14 in person, so we went into this multi-line japanese made bike dealership. I've never been treated so poorly in my life. It's like I was walking in handing out naked pictures of the salesman's mother. I tried to talk to him a couple times, but he just retorted with a sarcastic comment and a slam on HD.

I like all motorcycles, and I guess I just don't understand this attitude. I can tell you this, though, HD must be superior, cuz everybody treats HD like they are.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 01-16-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you only just figuring this out now?........you'll find the same attitudes everywhere to a certain extent and it doesn't much matter what they ride....sad really if you think about it

Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Regis
Cruiser

Ain't that the truth. Some very recent threads on this very subject. I mentioned that this morning, the BMW tourbike rider had a 'little comment' about Harley's this AM. It upset me, but like you pointed out, he's probably feeling the need to 'up' his image or something.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They fear us...they all fear us.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 487 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm lucky, I guess... the folks I ride with.... RIDE... what we ride doesn't matter.... but I've met more than a few jask-azzes (on all brands) that just have to say SOMETHING....
Now don't get me wrong, we will rag on each other.... but it's about ragging each other, not ******* someone's bike

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
you only just figuring this out now?........you'll find the same attitudes everywhere to a certain extent and it doesn't much matter what they ride....sad really if you think about it
When I lived in the urban environment of southern California I would have agreed with this because bikers could be very cliquey. Here in Kentucky it is the exact opposite and when you see small groups of riders it is very likely you will find many brands represented including them big scooters like the silver wing. It's two wheels so lets ride.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

Like the old saying goes: there are two types of motorcycles, Harleys and not Harleys.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by ConnMan
so we went into this multi-line jap bike dealership.
Maybe this line slipped out at the dealership?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fear Night
Like the old saying goes: there are two types of motorcycles, Harleys and not Harleys.
Now that's too funny.....

Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan

...I've never been treated so poorly in my life....

...I tried to talk to him a couple times, but he just retorted with a sarcastic comment and a slam on HD...
Why don't I ever come across people like this???

A guy could have so much fun.

Quick Reply: Harley Superiority?