General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Superiority?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a rats azz what people ride, but why is it that metric riders have to give excuses as to why they have a metric, to this day I have never asked or razzed anyone for riding a metric. It must be intimidation!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had a lot of experiences where I ask someone what they ride and they say, Oh just a Honda, or just a Suzuki, etc. I think a lot of riders really want a Harley, but think all Harleys cost $20,000 and they can't afford one. Or, they are still listening to people who say Harleys aren't reliable.

Some people don't realize you can get on a big twin Harley like the basic Superglide for the same money or less than some of the larger displacement Metric cruisers cost.

I'll ride with anyone, I don't care what they ride. As a matter of fact my current riding buddy rides a Suzuki Intruder. I almost have him talked into trading it in on a Nightster though.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"It's like I was walking in handing out naked pictures of the salesman's mother."

Thats funny as heck. That really put there demeanor towards you in perspective for me.lol

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM
guitarbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it no more waving to rice burners! They lost there rights with me, LOL...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
They fear us...they all fear us.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

Sad part is you went to see an inferior bike than what it replaced! Other than more power , the new concours has a 2 gallon smaller tank , is too samn flashy to be a "sport tourer , that would be mostly bought by the over 35 year old set. I rode a buddy at works one night ( low 40 degree night ) and other than being top heavy (7 1/2 gallon tank just MIGHT have something to do with it) seemed to be an awesome commuter bike ,decent weather protection,lots of room .Hell damn bags helf them 24 can soda cases with ease.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I never belittle a person's bike. If I hear a guy apologetically say that he rides a Honda VTX, I say, "Cool, I hear their nice bikes." That usually breaks the ice and we end up having nice conversation about motorcycles in general.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what kind of bike anyone rides. I don't get all the negative attitude towards other brands of bikes on either side. I have a Ducati along with my Harley and my wife's Yamaha. If I had enough money I would own a KTM, a BMW, a Moto Guzzi, an MV Augusta and a Victory. I like motorcycles.

I think a lot of it comes down to the look and ages of the riders. People like to feel superior to others. I just love to ride. I don't have time for bull**** like that. But I hear people say stuff about Harley riders without knowing I ride a Harley. A lot of non-riders or non cruiser riders seem to actually think Japanesse cruisers are superior in quality to Japanesse Crusiers. Ignorance is rampant.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You ride a Harley your automatically a misfit, rebel, sh_t disturber, where do i stop? By the law anyway and to a lot of people for that matter. You know are bikes are superior when you make a pit stop, with your buddys on jap bikes for a beer. WHOSE BIKE is every body looking at? Yeah, now you get the picture. The rice rockets all look the same, but yours is unique like your self.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master

I've heard guys say "It's only a Honda, Kaw, Suzuki, Yammie, etc..." and I tell 'em it's a motorcycle, isn't it? I rode several metrics before I bought my Ultra or my Sporty. Had a conversation with a guy the other day, and he asks how long have I been riding. I said I started in the dirt at age 5 and got my cycle endorsement at 16, I'm 34 now. He then asks when I bought my first Harley. I said Feb of 04 I bought a basket case and built it, but I bought my Ultra in Oct of 05. He told me I've only been "riding" for three years because "ricers don't count". WTF? I never made any apologies for what I chose to ride at any given time in my life. Ride whatever you want, just ride. All I can say is when I was single, I never had any trouble pulling plenty of tail on this Honda Shadow 1100...

Attached Thumbnails Harley Superiority?-shadow-pics0001.jpg   Harley Superiority?-burnout.jpg  

Quick Reply: Harley Superiority?