General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Rest Homes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Rest Homes?

Where do the older harley's go when they start getting up in years? I realize this is a winter/bored question, but with all the passion Harley riders have for the brand, I wonder what happens to the old cycles whose repair cost exceed their value. Do they just sit in someone's garage waiting to be restored or are they just crushed like unwanted cars?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 AM
nolafishr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Old Harleys never Die, They just got Better, if they did die they would be in "Harley Heaven"

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

They just ride off in to the sunset

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Many are still out there and usually get chopped or modified. But the stock ones are surely prized posessions. That is what makes a HD so special versus other bikes. It is much like having a vintage Porsche or Mercedes. Harley Davidsons never go out of style...they just get better with age.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

A lot of them went to Europe in the mid to late 80's. They were being bought up by the container full and shipped over there. This summer I am thinking I would like to track down another Panhead as a "final" restoration project. Will have to see how that works out.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
Where do the older harley's go when they start getting up in years? I realize this is a winter/bored question, but with all the passion Harley riders have for the brand, I wonder what happens to the old cycles whose repair cost exceed their value. Do they just sit in someone's garage waiting to be restored or are they just crushed like unwanted cars?
They go riding! I rode my 34 year old sportster yesterday and had a ball. It still runs great.

Repair cost exceeds the value? Never. If you ride them, even as old as mine and much older, on a regular basis, the repair cost is no more than riding a new bike. What kills a bike is sitting.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was recently an article in our local paper about an old guy that passed away. Relatives had cleaned out his house and when his nephew was going through crap out the barn he found a stock Harley Davidson from the 1930's.

None of his relatives knew that he ever had a motorcycle so it had probably been sitting there for quite some time.

According to the article, the family was going to get it appraised and sell it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe it was Einstein that proved that Harleys can be neither created nor destroyed. They simply take a different form and are an eternal force in the universe.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

I'm sorry, but when I read your topic before I clicked on it, I thought you meant a rest home for all the old Harley riders. Then of course my mind went on to envision old men with long beards and naked women tattoos on their bodies, getting into their chromed out Scooters or Hoverounds that have customized paint jobs. Of course the ladies have their leather pants on and show off their above the butt tattoos and such. I'm seeing "wiener" contests where they take their hoverounds or wheelchairs and try to bite the weiner.....

So that's not what this post is about???

Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

One place in all my travels that made a lasting impression is Nicks Cycle in Williamstown NJ. I built my entire 60 Sporty from parts bought from him in the 80's. He is still around and online if you want to look it up.

Quick Reply: Harley Rest Homes?