General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart/KMart stick on Deer Ultra sound devices

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Walmart/KMart stick on Deer Ultra sound devices

Does anyone have any experience on whether or not the purchasing and putting them on ones cars and motorcycles is worth it because they work? The ones that rely on air not the electronic ones.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

My mother-in-law runs them and she bags a deer with her car about every two years.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my boss put them on his new ultra after he hit 2 deer on it a weelk after he got it. hasn't hit any since.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Does anyone have any experience on whether or not the purchasing and putting them on ones cars and motorcycles is worth it because they work? The ones that rely on air not the electronic ones.
someone will probably post a link to a study done by those devices.
To sum up, in some cases the deer run TOWARDS the noise, in some cases they don't, and in many cases, they don't do anything at all.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allow me to be the one who posts the study.

Excerpt from a Washington State University study:

"The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work.
The odds are you won't hit a deer. Your best protection is to drive defensively, particularly as the sun sets. This is when most vehicle/deer accidents occur. Slow down when you see one deer. More often another is right behind it."

Link to the full article. http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...77/eb1677.html

Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Grind
Road Master

My dad pasted one 20 years ago with whistles on the bumper of his Blazer.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbphoto
Allow me to be the one who posts the study.

Excerpt from a Washington State University study:

"The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work.

The odds are you won't hit a deer. Your best protection is to drive defensively, particularly as the sun sets. This is when most vehicle/deer accidents occur. Slow down when you see one deer. More often another is right behind it."
I agree with the study. The deer heard around here is huge and they cross my property all the time. Last year while out riding a friend who does use them went by the deer and it did nothing except parallel us for a couple hundred yards. I would put more faith in your riding skills as opposed to the whistle.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
my boss put them on his new ultra after he hit 2 deer on it a weelk after he got it. hasn't hit any since.

I figure I've dodged bullets so to speak all these years with my vehicles. I was t boned in my truck by a deer 2 wednesdays ago. $24-2500+ damage. If I'da been on my bike that would have been serious. I live in a real rural area and most land owners post their land (i do not) and as a consequence there is a huge dear population. Some I have talked to swear by there affectiveness.

However there are those who say they don't work for sheit.

What the hell, it can't hurt to put them on I guess. Look like shiet but hopefully will serve a vital function? I can't see how a shrieking and annoying high pitched whistle would make them want to come closer? I don't know.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 01-18-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
I live in a real rural area and most land owners post their land (I do not) and as a consequence there is a huge dear population.

The problem isn't folks posting their land, it's the fact there are no or not enough predatory species.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

put a set of them on my boat,
ain't hit a deer yet. I say they work!!
Get-R-Dun

Quick Reply: Walmart/KMart stick on Deer Ultra sound devices