General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart/KMart stick on Deer Ultra sound devices

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
The problem isn't folks posting their land, it's the fact there are no or not enough predatory species.
I was figuring that if its posted "no hunting" that allows the deer population to grow because it eliminates the predatory species called man the hunter. Flat landers come up from the big city, but up all the land and take away what was once traditional family hunting area's because they feel sorry for the poor nice deer.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give em to my kids to blow soap bubbles, and we haven't seen any deer around yet.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by DZLDR
put a set of them on my boat,
ain't hit a deer yet. I say they work!!
Get-R-Dun

Sounds like as good a reason as I'll find at this juncture! There is as many people who say they work as don't.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to deal with deer in my opinion is to slow down in deer areas, and to weave back and forth shinning your head light on both sides of the road whilst lookin for their eyes etc.Dusk is certainly the time to really keep your eyes peeled.Them deer whistles are in my opinion nothing more than a false sense of security, and deer are not the only critters we need to look out for and avoid.Possums, Coons,Fox, Dogs,coyotes, owls,armidillos, are all also capable of causing us a problem.And there is a new critter to always keep in mind, a human driving whilst texting, talking on the cell, etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have worked plenty of deer wrecks where the car had those things on them. In addition, I had one on my bike that my insurance company gave me.......I also hit a deer on my bike with it on there.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The problem isn't folks posting their land, it's the fact there are no or not enough predatory species.
No coyotes where you live?.....We have plenty of both deer and coyotes. My dad has snared 5 coyotes at our farm in the past 4 weeks. I see coyotes crossing the interstate between my local landfill and the motels/restaurants on the other side. The coyotes still ain't cutting the deer in town back to much. The town I work in has a LEO program that kill deer about a month a year to control the population.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 AM
RexBuck
Road Master

Both Cougar and Wolf populations have been greatly reduced in North America. Coyotes generally will only take young deer and unhealthy adult deer. We have provided deer with much better food source, farm land and landscaping - particularly in the winter.

So, the influence of man has reduced the death rate of deer by providing more food (particularly in the winter) and reducing their natural predators.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WELL, guess our study didn't make the list.
Minnesota, sukin' hind t*t, like always.

Rather than 'waste' your $$ on them, jus' git a BIGGER ride bell. (Look under motor) Not sure it wurx any better, BUT it starts more conversations. As such, you spend more time yakking, less time riding, this in turn 'reduces' your exposure to deer, so thus, reduces sickle-deer collisions. Make sense? Good.

Course, they do make even BIGGER ones:

Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The .30 caliber machine gun mounted on my handlebars works best.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I like to see deer on the side of the road. Gives me good drive by shooting practice.

They're a lot harder too hit than cows but a lot easier than buzzards.

Quick Reply: Walmart/KMart stick on Deer Ultra sound devices