General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"COLD" Temps and Condensation - FWIW

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "COLD" Temps and Condensation - FWIW

NO DOUBT 'bout it. It's been cool, to say the least. And whether it's -30, 0, 10 or 40, when it is 30 - 40 degrees below what you are used to, IT'S FRIGGIN' COLD.
Okay, nuff of that drivvle.

Some of you, Many of you, or maybe None of you, are experiencing some way lower temps than usual.
IF you do not have a heated grudge, shop or ride your scoot into the house, then you are in 'cold' storage (regardless of temp, for this post)
The scoot is gonna git cold over night, or days, whichever.

When it starts to WARM UP outside, that warm air on the cold scoot, is gonna cause condesation. (Think your glasses when you walk into the house from cold outside) LOTS of it, depending on how humid the warm air is.
The only way to prevent that, warm storage.
DON'T git your thongs in a bunch.

ONCE it starts to git warm, and you notice it, git the scoot as warm as possible, as fast as possible. IF you have it covered, uncover it so the air can get at it. Most ppl up here, are not lucky enough to have heated storage all winter long. ($$$$$)
What most do, get a box fan, or shop fan, and point it at the scoot. That will help warm it up faster and 'blow' dry it. IF you have the luxury of being able to add supplemental heat, torpedo htr, ice house htr, etc, all the better.

IF it's been in storage a bit, I tell ppl DO NOT wipe it down. Jus' air dry it. Whilst sitting, it is gonna collect dust, like it or not. Grab a rag, and start wiping, scratch the dickens outta your paint. May wanna git the scratch and swirl remover out and start rubbin'.
Also, BEFORE it starts to warm up, ensure your gas tank is full to the top. No room for air, no condensation.

IF it happens once, or twice, jus' pretend it never happened. But if you experience several cycles of the chit, you MAY, but do not have to, contemplate pulling the plug on your oil tank before you roll off in the spring. Everytime you get the condensation, you'll get a bit of water likwise, condensing in the 'earl' tank. Jus' remember that when you do roll out. Run it LONG enogh and hard enough to get it hot to get the moisture outta the oil. Me, I'm a warm it up good, pull the plug and dump the oil kinda guy. Even tho, it was fresh last fall. (IF it's been in 'cold' storage)

But again, jus' git it warmed up as soon as you can. But even at that, it really will not hurt anything. Jus' gits yur goat.

To ALL the members here from Alaska and Canada: I am really appreciative of the fact that you did indeed see the error in your ways, sending ALL that friggin' cold chit down here, AND have decided to shove it outta here, now. THANX for the 'warm up', +10, and it's EARLY yet. YAHOOO!!

You folks, sowt n west, and where warm, RIDE ON!!!!
Ranger, Peeps, Rizzo, 2Whlr, NoName, Momma and Your's Truly, will be out there. jus' a cruisin', in .................................................. ................
oh...........................................maybe 3 1/2 months.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...ok I got most of it. But I have checked Walmart for a heated "grudge" and can't find one. Also, where is the "earl" tank? I think that's where I keep the Jack Daniels and certainly agree you should keep it full especially in winter.
OH! And thanks a lot for forgetting to remind me to unplug battery tender. Rode mine halfway to the street before it unplugged.
Stay warm Gump - we'll be in trouble if your 'puter freezes.

Pat

Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep my scoot in an unheated garage & don't use a cover. My opinion is a cover traps condensation. Never had a problem with it. Gets a little dusty, no biggie. In regard to the oil, as long as you dipstick is in tight, IMO I think condensation in the oil tank would be minimal & not worth worrying about.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice, Gump!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an unheated workshop that I keep both of my bikes in. They are covered and the vents in the covers are open. I have 200 watt halogen worklightsunder each . I some times have to throw on some heat from a torpedo to work on a snowblower or the like and have checked the bikes for condensation. The covers and lites seem to work. Those small halogens give off a good bit of heat IMO

Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gump it is 72 today, sun shining, wind from the north 10-15. I plan on having the wind and the radical conversion of hydrocarbons to other elements as an aide to moisture removal in about two hours. Still a good post.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my bike gets "cold" at -20 degrees..???

who would have thought??

Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,859 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Da Gump, heard it was 49 in Rapid City today, maybe a Jan. thaw is on the way.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gump, it's warmed up here a lot, still below freezing though. When it's colder than h*ll we send er south, warmer we keep it! Little unknown secret here in frigid Canada is all the wind farms we've beeen building. You see they are really a bunch of large fans that when running eventually creat enough force to start sending all of our cold air south.