General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question about re attaching throttle cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crankster
I just did heated grips and was wrestling with it. I ended up just holding the the little brass piece in the hole, then used a hooked dental pick tool to pull the cable up then dropped it into the channel. Throttle side first. You could use a piece of coat hanger just as easily.
Bingo, Crankster gets the prize!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Gmackly
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
Get a bucket or easter basket and hang it from the handlebars to catch the brass ferrels when you drop them. Cause they have a bad habit of disapearing on you otherwise.
As for putting them into the grip have you completely backed off on the adjusters?
If you haven't it will make things easier, if you have make sure your putting them on the right way. You 'can' put them on backwards, but it ain't easy.
Also if I remember right you want to put on the throttle side first. Then you can twist the grip (like you taking off or throttle up) to get the idle cable in easier.
If you have a friend handy you can make it a little easier if he holds the throttle 'on' while you get the idle cable in place.

PS there is no such thing as a dumb question, its my firm belief that the only truely dumb question is the one you DON'T ask.
Cause the odds are that the answer to that one will save you a bunch of time, trouble, and maybe money.
The bucket was a great idea... thanks for the tip...I changed mine in around 25 minutes.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
sddyna
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I replaced my bars and had to put the grips back on I was having the same issues with the little brass PITA pieces. What I ended up doing was wedging a long screw driver into the linkage on the carb to hold it open which extended the cable giving me just enough slack to slide it on. If your bike is not carbed this will not be much help but if it is give it a try. The real trouble is us humans are only given two hands and this is a three handed job. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bucket is a good idea. I use a cart with wheels on it that just slides in under the handlebar. I put a towel on it so the ferulles don't bounce.
Works for me.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If you dropped one of the ends and the basket caught it and saved you from having to hunt around the garage floor for one of them brass ends, it was worth it.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't disassemble my hand controls, simply loosened the bolts as far as I could. Then before attaching the bars to the bike, I slipped the controls from the old to the new, then bolted them in place. If yer runnin wires thru the bars, or if they are still too close to get the wires out of the dimple, that won't work tho...

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If one would just take the time to loosen the throttle adjust, the little ball and cable slip over very easily and into the slot... then you have to readjust the cable.