General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Pads (Gel or Sheepskin..)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006 | 12:19 AM
reefteach
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Pads (Gel or Sheepskin..)

Anybody have experience with those pads you can place on top of your seat for additional comfort? I've seen gel ones, sheepskin ones. I think I want to get something before my first big trip. The stock Road King seat alone won't cut it for days of long rides, but I like its look and feel for shorter distances, so I think I want to keep it (Plus slapping on a pad for this 1 time trip is more financially acceptable.)

Old 04-16-2006 | 12:43 AM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Seat Pads (Gel or Sheepskin..)

I think the stock OE seat is terrible for comfort on a ride

Old 04-16-2006 | 01:03 AM
sprinter
Advanced

I was wondering the same thing a couple of months ago. I did a lot of searching on the net, and I found out about the wooden bead butt pads, like the ones you can buy for cars. It seems by many that these bead pads are only beat out by Gelpads, but gelpads are very expensive. The sheepskin pads work better in winter, because they keep you warmer.
All the reviews said that the beads worked great on the highway and kept you cooler in hot weather.
I plan on riding to Sturgis this year (from Mi.), and I remember from before that my butt was wet after being stuck in that traffic for long times so I just bought the wooden beads butt pad and so far it 'seems' to work as advertised. I know I rode with it on last week in 60 degree weather, and my butt actually got sorta cool. Great! It should help in the heat of Sturgis.

Really, they are much more comfortable than they sound and you can get more info from www.beadrider.com.

HTH, and no, I am not affiliated in any way with them or others.

later,
ron.

Old 04-16-2006 | 01:57 AM
KRATC
Advanced

ORIGINAL: reefteach

Anybody have experience with those pads you can place on top of your seat for additional comfort? I've seen gel ones, sheepskin ones. I think I want to get something before my first big trip. The stock Road King seat alone won't cut it for days of long rides, but I like its look and feel for shorter distances, so I think I want to keep it (Plus slapping on a pad for this 1 time trip is more financially acceptable.)
I have the gel pad that is covered in sheepskin for my Heritage. I have one for rider & for passenger. It works really well, I could tell a big difference after riding all day & no sweaty butt either. On the toy runs this past winter the seats were definitely warmer!

I got it & an air horn at Sturgis last year. The "PRO PAD" http://www.thepropad.com/ Made in the USA, phone number is 1-800-403-2714,

Old 04-22-2006 | 11:43 PM
rdrunner
Cruiser

I bought an Alaska sheepkin pad last year and it worked fairly well alone. A riding partner bought an airhawk seat pad and raved about it. I tried his and bought one for myself and covered it with the black alaska sheepskin pad that I already have.....what a ride!!

Old 04-23-2006 | 12:32 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a sheep skin for cooler long distance rides; Works great!

I have used the wood beads on real hot days and raining days; Works great!

I've used the Saddleman Gel Pad for alpurpose long distance riding; Works Great!

A couple of years back I had the Saddleman Gel Pads inserted into my Ultra seat on both rider and passenger; Works great!
This past Daytona bike week I bought the Saddleman Gel Road Sofa seat with adjustable rider back rest and matching tourpac back rest.
Best yet! http://www.saddlemen.com/harleyindex.html

BUT, I still will use my beads on those relentles pounding raining long distance rides. I just don't like sitting in a puddle for hours on end.

chappy

Old 04-23-2006 | 12:36 AM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always heard that the gel separates on long rides leaving you sitting on the seat. Is this true?

Old 04-23-2006 | 12:42 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know a nurse or somebody in the medical field, ask them that question. The reason I say that is because the gel pad has been used fro decades for wheelchair comfort. If you ask, you might even find a piece to look at and feel and maybe even get a piece to try before you buy. Check the nursing homes first and maybe medical supply house next.

good luck

chappy

Old 04-23-2006 | 12:59 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: reefteach

Get'a Corbin and break it in properly and you'll love it. It is a might stiff at first but after it forms to your butt it is wonderful.

Old 04-23-2006 | 12:06 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Le Pera seats can be ordered with built in "Biker Gel".
http://www.lepera.com/

Quick Reply: Seat Pads (Gel or Sheepskin..)