General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D**n GPS!!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Keith E.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D**n GPS!!!! :(

Just wanted to start this post so all of the anti-GPS folks could put their comments here and stop stinking up others posts on this site.

Keith

Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keith E.
Just wanted to start this post so all of the anti-GPS folks could put their comments here and stop stinking up others posts on this site.

Keith
Looks as though you took the right, "DIRECTION"

Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

every time i stop to get fuel/food, i put a mark on my road atlas. i've got lots of old atlases that are bent/burned/stained/waterlogged and every one tells a story of that seasons rides. luckily i don't need to charge em to look at em.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I can look at my GPS without charging it.... it just happens to be more helpful when it turns on.

So how often do you look at those marked up maps? Did you take notes on the name of the spot you marked? Why was it marked, was the food good? Was it bad? Did you like the view? Did you note which photos you took at that spot on the map? If you suddenly had a craving for that BBQ sandwich right now, how long would it take you to find your way back to that spot on your map? Does your map remind you of that speed trap when you are enjoying that open road a little too much? Can it tell you where the closest drug store is when the truck in front of you kicks that rock up, and you really need a bandaid and some Advil?

Don't get me wrong, I feel there are too many people out there that couldn't read a map to save their life. I use maps daily at work, without them I wouldn't make it to your house in time to put out the fire. But remember, there are a lot of things that GPS can do that your map cannot.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

I don't ride often with a hard and fast place to visit and don't like to ride a preplaned route. They are nice to find a address once you are in an area but not to get that far,thats what the ride is for. I have used the one in our car but again only to find the address after i get to and area if needed. I to just like to look at a map when i make break stops. I do think there good to tell someone where you are if your have'n trouble but spot can do that better . When i have to be some where I have always been pretty good about planeing a trip and not needed the gps in years gone by. Just more new toys that are not really needed. They can also be distracting on a bike and slower to up date than rideing sometimes. Most of the spots i do need to find are on private roads and don't show anyhow. Still have a great laser radar detector too. Don't trust gps for food to many suck ,some of the best food is not on them thangs and i carry a first aid kit. Just another toy to get some dummy killed pay'n to much attention to it. Its all about the ride. Also haven't you found out that the maps they give can be slower than some of the back roads that they don't track and those small *** roads only show at about 1/4 mile scale or less.

Last edited by hardluk1; 01-16-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith E.
Just wanted to start this post so all of the anti-GPS folks could put their comments here...
Reminds me of a ride across west Texas with a few other riders...we were heading to San Diego. The lead bike pulled us in to get gas, opened up his trunk, and watched every map he had blow away.

That rider has since replaced most of his maps...with a GPS.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A GPS is a tool for navigation, not exploration. Considering the expense most will incur putting a GPS on a bike and the popularity of touring on a motorcycle I feel it's worthwhile to point that fact out. Finding you still need to carry maps despite your $800 investment is a hell of a disappointment for many.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

Using a GPS is Dangerous, Period!!!

Oh, wait, I ride a MOTORCYCLE!!!

I love my GPS.....

Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,121 Likes on 1,028 Posts

GPS is OK. Just not for me!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i enjoy the ride. if i am enjoying it too much i sometimes get lost. but some folks like it that way. i do too as long as i aint hungry tired or short on gas. thats why i have the gps it solves all my worries. besides if you have a map, you have to know where you are at to begin with.

Quick Reply: D**n GPS!!!! :(