General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D**n GPS!!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM
zapps
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my ZUMO! I try my best to get lost on roads within 100 miles of the house. When I no longer know where exactly I am heading, I just hit home and have a great ride to where I started.
Zapps
2008 Ultra

Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Why not both?

This one's easy. GPS and Maps compliment each other. While it's nice to have one or the other on a road trip, it's best to have both. However, if I was forced to choose between the two for a multi-day trip, I'd choose a good road map.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluetoys
You know, we are getting off topic... We are supposed to be placating the haters.
We need to talk about how we dislike having access to the POIs and seeing our incoming phone calls via bluetooth. Or lamenting the ability to know that there is a gas station 5 miles down the road, 4 blocks over just after the second street in that little town, when the gas light comes on and we are out in the middle of nowhere...
Uhh, Sorry, Son. But if you are only 5 miles and 4 blocks away from the station, YOU AIN'T IN THE COUNTRY!!!! CHECK your GPS, AGAIN!! We call that a Fuggin' suburb up here. OH, NEVER MIND, see you're from Iowa, MY BAD!!

Jus' jivin' him, folks. IN ALL HONESTY, those Iowegians DO PUT on some GREAT rallies. FREEDOM Rally, Hot Harley Nights, on and on. THANX.
(BTW, do you know what they call a good lookin' girl in Iowa?...............
A TOURIST!!! )

GPS on a panhead chopper. NO THANX, I'll take my Rand-McNally if'n I jus' can't seem to find the state I'm headin' to.

Let's see, wimpshield, check, saddlebarges, check, sofa seat, check, electric start, check, cell phone, check, GPS, check, garage door opener, check.
"Where's Gumby?"
Uhhh, I think he's at the first gas stop already.
Read Nighttrain's sig line, SAYS it ALL. Geesh!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GPS, Maps? The Yellow Book shows every Starbucks and Burger King I trailer to.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
GPS, Maps? The Yellow Book shows every Starbucks and Burger King I trailer to.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Starboard
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got nothing against GPS, but after I head out, I can make 3 left turns and usually recognize where I'm at.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
This one's easy. GPS and Maps compliment each other. While it's nice to have one or the other on a road trip, it's best to have both. However, if I was forced to choose between the two for a multi-day trip, I'd choose a good road map.
I don't have a GPS on my bike (yet), but several buddies have them. During a ride up to Sturgis South (Sturgis, MS) last August, the unofficial "ride leader" had just added a GPS to his ride. At one point we stopped so he could figure out where to go -- and we stopped under a big road sign that clearly indicated the right road, plus some of us already knew the way! -- still had to wait until he figured it out... He still gets ragged about that.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PPBART
I don't have a GPS on my bike (yet), but several buddies have them. During a ride up to Sturgis South (Sturgis, MS) last August, the unofficial "ride leader" had just added a GPS to his ride. At one point we stopped so he could figure out where to go -- and we stopped under a big road sign that clearly indicated the right road, plus some of us already knew the way! -- still had to wait until he figured it out... He still gets ragged about that.

How many were there? Which way were they headed? I HAVE to find them, I'm their leader!!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Moki Doug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to hate those d**m gps's I had one pull up next to me the other day squid with shorts and tennis shoes revving his motor... oh, oh never mind

Old 01-18-2009, 10:40 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
Don't get me wrong, I feel there are too many people out there that couldn't read a map to save their life. I use maps daily at work, without them I wouldn't make it to your house in time to put out the fire. But remember, there are a lot of things that GPS can do that your map cannot.
Yeah and a map never needs batteries, a power hook up, a group of satellites, a clear view of the skies or input. The maps I use can tell me township, range, gradient (slope angle) and a number of other things depending on the map type I ordered. Better yet, I can get you just as close to a given location as you can with that gadget. I can switch from NAD27 to UTM and don't need to recalibrate the map where you do need to recalibrate that GPS as UTM is already there on the map. You're right, there are literally millions of people that couldn't read a simple city map if their lives depended on it. Ah but here comes what they perceive to be the answer to all their problems except wait, Tom Tom or the typical GPS doesn't work everywhere and the maps I use do except for those places like Area 51, which are unavailable to the public.

A GPS is a great tool if it works.