General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D**n GPS!!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize that the turns not for another 3.1 miles, but at that speed you might want to put the camera away and ride.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/...0/IMGP3434.jpg

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
I realize that the turns not for another 3.1 miles, but at that speed you might want to put the camera away and ride.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/...0/IMGP3434.jpg
LOL, I'm safe now, reclining in the house...
It was taken last year on the way home from the spring flood Run in MN. I think I took it to show a mileage on the odometer... I missed getting it.
I put it up mostly to stay topical.

Last edited by Bluetoys; 01-16-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no way in hell would GPS ever help me.
I never get lost because
EVERYONE TELLS ME "WHERE TO GO"

Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

I'll admit it,I never got the GPS thing.But the more I think about it,I wouldn't mind having one SOMETIMES.Besides,my phone has it and I never used it!

My dad has been a professional OTR truck driver for 31 years.He still loves it!He's criss-crossed the country more than a few times and never really been lost a day in his life.Still has a box full of maps.I asked him a few years ago if he would like me to buy him a GPS unit for xmas.He goes off about where he's been what he's seen,don't need some little computer to get me anywhere!Then two years ago,the company gives him a brand new,fully loaded,double sleeper International! This thing is like an apt. on wheels....satelite TV,DVD,CD,fridge,laptop...and a GPS unit.He taught himself how to use it on some down time...and now he swears by it.This coming from an old trucker(60) that only ever used paper maps.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master

Originally Posted by freekdawg1200
I'll admit it,I never got the GPS thing.But the more I think about it,I wouldn't mind having one SOMETIMES.Besides,my phone has it and I never used it!

My dad has been a professional OTR truck driver for 31 years.He still loves it!He's criss-crossed the country more than a few times and never really been lost a day in his life.Still has a box full of maps.I asked him a few years ago if he would like me to buy him a GPS unit for xmas.He goes off about where he's been what he's seen,don't need some little computer to get me anywhere!Then two years ago,the company gives him a brand new,fully loaded,double sleeper International! This thing is like an apt. on wheels....satelite TV,DVD,CD,fridge,laptop...and a GPS unit.He taught himself how to use it on some down time...and now he swears by it.This coming from an old trucker(60) that only ever used paper maps.
You know, we are getting off topic... We are supposed to be placating the haters.
We need to talk about how we dislike having access to the POIs and seeing our incoming phone calls via bluetooth. Or lamenting the ability to know that there is a gas station 5 miles down the road, 4 blocks over just after the second street in that little town, when the gas light comes on and we are out in the middle of nowhere...

Last edited by Bluetoys; 01-17-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at least paper maps are good to light a fire if ure lost to keep ya warm....

Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 592 Likes on 311 Posts

I carry both...and a 1911...

but anyway, anything I want to do on/with/to my bike (that's MY bike) to make my trip or ride more fun or enjoyable is ok, just as it is for you

Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
scubadnv
Cruiser
Default Gps yes

Use my ZUMO on any long trip, it's smart enough to tell me when to stop for fuel, find a good nights sleep, and it pumps music into my helmet, but I also cary a map to look ahead and plan the next days ride. Both have a place, you just need to know when to hold em and when to fold em.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm a surveyor and I love my GPS. It's dark for 4 months out of the year, and who can unfold a map in the cold without the paper breaking anyway?

On my scoot - nope.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:30 PM
framer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
Yeah, I can look at my GPS without charging it.... it just happens to be more helpful when it turns on.

So how often do you look at those marked up maps? Did you take notes on the name of the spot you marked? Why was it marked, was the food good? Was it bad? Did you like the view? Did you note which photos you took at that spot on the map? If you suddenly had a craving for that BBQ sandwich right now, how long would it take you to find your way back to that spot on your map? Does your map remind you of that speed trap when you are enjoying that open road a little too much? Can it tell you where the closest drug store is when the truck in front of you kicks that rock up, and you really need a bandaid and some Advil?

Don't get me wrong, I feel there are too many people out there that couldn't read a map to save their life. I use maps daily at work, without them I wouldn't make it to your house in time to put out the fire. But remember, there are a lot of things that GPS can do that your map cannot.
Amen brother...and BTW, thanks for doing what you do. Sorta' reminds me of how we got by before cell phones. Times were good but how about getting help/assistance if things went bad quick. Jus sayin.....

Quick Reply: D**n GPS!!!! :(