General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Baffled and Non-Baffled exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Bumbobee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Difference between Baffled and Non-Baffled exhaust?

I'm curious to know what the difference is between the two and what the pros/cons are for each?

<- Noob here

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Un Baffled pipes, or drag pipes will give you better top end power due to the unrestrictive nature of free flowing pipes. This is great if your going flat out at top speed or your racing. It sucks for low end torque however, and this is what most HD riders like. Baffled pipes are quieter (depending on the baffle) and provide more back pressure, creating more low end torque, but limiting top end horse power. Sound is the reason most people go with either baffled or un-baffled pipes.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just took off unbaffled Samson II, Rip Saws, which are drag pipes of 1-5/8" ID. The previous owner had them installed with torque cones placed at the head end.
My bike with the 103" engine ran great with that setup, but the noise was outrageous. It took me over 2 years to convince myself to switch to a Fat Cat 2 into 1, with quiet baffle. There should have been a huge difference in the low to mid range power, according to what I have read. I really can't tell much difference at all, except for 5,000 rpm and above. The drag pipes performed better at the higher rpms.

If you take the baffle out of most exhausts, that are meant to use a baffle, the performance will suffer greatly. Most exhaust have too large an ID, which they need for the baffles, to run them without the baffles
Tom.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a loss in low end power when i took the baffles out of my big radius pipes, It is loud as hell now too, maby too loud.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
drilerjim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think alot of it is opinion based. Me I like it loud. There are tuning isusse though. When I pulled my baffles I had the Vance n Hines fuel pack. I developed a strange miss between 57 and 60 mph. It was running fine before I pulled the baffles. It was not the speed but the rpms. I found it would do it in every gear at whatever rpm, don't have a tach. I tried to use different settings to solve it but could not get it on my own. I took it to Riverfront Harley, In Lawrence, Ks. They took it to their dyno. I ended up getting switching to a Power Commander and had them dyno tune it. Runs perfect, no miss. Didn't notice a performance difference or mileage change. That's all I got to say about that.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM
extech
Road Master

running no baffles is great if you are at the drag strip, most people that want good all around performance are going to need a baffled exhaust, especially fuel injected bikes. there are some exhaust where you can actually choose different sized baffles for different sound and performance.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I just took off unbaffled Samson II, Rip Saws, which are drag pipes of 1-5/8" ID. The previous owner had them installed with torque cones placed at the head end.
My bike with the 103" engine ran great with that setup, but the noise was outrageous. It took me over 2 years to convince myself to switch to a Fat Cat 2 into 1, with quiet baffle. There should have been a huge difference in the low to mid range power, according to what I have read. I really can't tell much difference at all, except for 5,000 rpm and above. The drag pipes performed better at the higher rpms.

If you take the baffle out of most exhausts, that are meant to use a baffle, the performance will suffer greatly. Most exhaust have too large an ID, which they need for the baffles, to run them without the baffles
Tom.
Uhhh, that's the reason for the 'torque cones', that's why you didn't notice a diff in the low end when you switched.

BIG cams and drag pipes will only make 'power' at the high RPM band. VERY HIGH for an HD. In fact, most HDs will not turn enough R's to use or justify, cams and drag pipes, unless you do a chit pot full of mods to it.
IMFUO, the majority of ppl who run drag pipes ONLY THINK they are 'more powerful' when in reality, they lost instead of gained. NOISE does not translate to power/speed on an HD.

NOW, when I bought Black Betty, it had drag pipes on it. I installed 2 1/2" baffles and dialed in the "E". I can outrun Farmers '76 Shovel, 88" with open drag pipes. He will git me top end, but not outta the hole. And I am running a higher 'final' drive than he is. Even tho I am running that higher final drive, I do run outta top end OOMPH compared to his. BUT I very rarely run 'round with the troddle against the stop. I want it to pull low to mid range, read that, torque. (That's why they call them li'l funnels, "torque cones" )

Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

Ahh I see, so generally baffled is the way to go? What about for a v-rod? It's a higher reving engine, baffled or non-baffled?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Fear Night
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always baffled. There are two variations of baffles: standard or quiet. A standard baffle is generally a straight-through flow (you can put say a stick straight through it). This will give you high end power similar to no baffles but without the torque loss. Quiet baffles are almost never straight-through in design and will restrict your high end flow. Standard baffles are the way to go unless you want a quieter exhaust for some strange reason.

Last edited by Fear Night; 01-16-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought an 05 Night Train with a 95" kit and a set of 211 cams
When I goit the bike it had no baffles in pipes (Big Shots) The bike ripped at high RPM's with those 211 cams and no baffles. By gawd it was unbearble loudness. Like insane.

Yesterday we put the standard baffles in the pipes. I did notice a slight gain at low RPM but a huge loss at high RPM's.

My shift routine when "On it" without baffles was Gas the thing and at 40MPH shift to 2nd, 60 MPH shift to 3rd, 85 Shift to 4th. It would run neck and neck with my Little brothers 08' CBR600RR rice rocket.

Fast foward to todays ride.

All my shift points came down 5 MPH I have to shift to 2nd at about 35MPH, 3rd at about 55....

It is very moticible with my particular setup. Very.

My bike is gonna need different cams. The 211's want to be a motor with more than stock compression at my high altitude in Colorado.

If I could get away with it and not get ticketed those baffles would be out if I wasnt changing the cams and trying to have my motor guy turn my bike from high end screaming ready to blow **** up power to simple lower RPM torque monster.

Quick Reply: Difference between Baffled and Non-Baffled exhaust?