General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone toured Vegas area in Feb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:05 AM
rollingrocker
|
Novice
Question has anyone toured Vegas area in Feb?

i'll be there 2nd wk of Feb. and was wondering what to expect if i ride over to the nearby national parks...weather, scenery, appropriate clothing etc...i'd appreciate any color from the community...

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:13 AM
softail04
Road Master

should be pretty nice but that early in the year could be anything . went there about 9 years ago and it snowed on us ..

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:14 AM
softail04
Road Master

should be pretty nice but that early in the year could be anything . went there about 9 years ago and it snowed on us .. that was the last time they had snow however untill this year so go figure

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:08 PM
daniel442
Intermediate

Went to Vegas last year in July and November, and rented a bike on each trip. In July, I went to Mt Charleston where the temperature went from ~100F at the bottom to about 55F with a total change on scenery going up the mountain. Very nice ride and highly recommended. However In February I'd think it would be too cold, maybe with snow. Never been in Vegas in February. I also went to Red Rock park, and it was a very relaxing ride.

In November I went to Valley of Fire, and the road by lake Mead. Valley of fire is very nice. My problem was that I wanted to stop for photography, but the stops were not paved, so it was not very safe to park the bike at those places. The road by Lake Mead had a lot of portions under construction. Entire portions with no pavement and loose gravel. Definitely not suit for unexperince riders and not joyful at all. If you decide to go that route, check if the rodes are done. It was no very scenic either.

Hope it helps.

Old 01-18-2009 | 07:04 PM
lviguy
Cruiser

Should be cool here then. Hi's in the low 70's, lows in the mid 50's.

Great time to do Death Valley, where it will be in the 80's. If you ride, go South. Oatman, AZ, Lake Havasu, CA. South Rim of Grand Canyon will be iffy, North Rim will still be closed.

Old 01-18-2009 | 07:24 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lviguy
Should be cool here then. Hi's in the low 70's, lows in the mid 50's.

Great time to do Death Valley, where it will be in the 80's. If you ride, go South. Oatman, AZ, Lake Havasu, CA. South Rim of Grand Canyon will be iffy, North Rim will still be closed.
Yeah, what he said. Again could be 80* or 50* and windy.

Old 01-18-2009 | 10:19 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

Was down there a couple of days ago. A bit windy, but highs in the low 60's. Very comfortable.

Old 01-19-2009 | 01:34 AM
karz10
Road Master

I'm going to Vegas first week of March.

To the OP, you riding you're own bike, or renting? If anyone has experience w/ the rentals, I'd appreciate it. I see an HD dealer in Las Vegas, one in Henderson, and Eagle Rider or something I read was another option when searching the forums...

I have to fly there from East Coast for business, and am staying a few extra days to work/play. Any more input on places to go or how to route a trip would be nice. I may only be able to do one 24 hr segment, so either an all day thing, or part of one day for one loop, and part of the next morning for another loop, or something like that.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2009 | 05:00 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

If you're a HOG member, check out the fly-n-drive program. They use Las Vegas HD for their rentals and it's about $100/day including insurance. I'm doing the fly-n-drive with them in May.

Originally Posted by karz10
I'm going to Vegas first week of March.

To the OP, you riding you're own bike, or renting? If anyone has experience w/ the rentals, I'd appreciate it. I see an HD dealer in Las Vegas, one in Henderson, and Eagle Rider or something I read was another option when searching the forums...

I have to fly there from East Coast for business, and am staying a few extra days to work/play. Any more input on places to go or how to route a trip would be nice. I may only be able to do one 24 hr segment, so either an all day thing, or part of one day for one loop, and part of the next morning for another loop, or something like that.

Thanks.