General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAck Surgery!!?? Any riders Still Rollin'

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the disc replace in my neck between the 6th and 7th vertabrea. Of course surgeon said "riding motorcycles is very hard on your back and neck. But he didn't say NOT to ride.

I don't use a windshield, never have but even after 2 years, my neck hurts like hell after a few hours of high speed riding. Dr says I'll probably always have it. Thank God for Vicodin.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:04 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,862 Likes on 13,480 Posts

I've got 4 titanium screws and 2 rods in my lower back(fusion l4/l5) ,you will be able to ride.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

I have a partially fused spine and I can ride just fine. My legs and shoulders get tired well before any part of my back. If anything, it's just a few less vertebrae to get fatigued.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 AM
harleeup
Intermediate

my bud from cali had the cage put in his lower back this last year, now he's ridin out here in 6 weeks and were going on out to D bike week. 6 k mile trip for him.so i guess he feels good.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by icehead
I've been told by my doctor that I will need 2 back surgeries in the immediate future, (like 2 or 3 weeks from now). One will take 2-3 weeks to recover another will take almost 2 months to recover. Yeah, I'm kind of bummed, but he said I could ride my bike after I heal up, I was wondering if any of you have had a major or minor back surgery and are still able to ride? What bike would you suggest I get for someone with back problems? I guess my Fatboy is out of the question now. Whew!
I dunno, I couldn't / didn't ride at all for years till after I had back surgery.

I was just laying around collecting a check, eatin pills and had basically become a human venus flytrap.

Back surgery changed my life... started workin out and lost some weight, started fishing again ... then I got a little ahead in the rat race and got me a NUTHER SCOOT.. (c;

I wish you a quick recovery. Good luck and hope all goes well.

99%r

Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Lower back (L5-S1) fusion with two rods and 5 screws in 1994 and C6-C7 (neck) fusion a year later, Ride, ran every other day (til the knees gave out) and still very active at 54. Due have a backrest on both the Deuce and Ultra, but would probably have them anyway.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Compression fractured L4-5 2 years ago. Put some Progressives on the fatboy and don't go nuts lowering it. Stay active...John

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankjake
I had the disc replace in my neck between the 6th and 7th vertabrea. Of course surgeon said "riding motorcycles is very hard on your back and neck. But he didn't say NOT to ride.

I don't use a windshield, never have but even after 2 years, my neck hurts like hell after a few hours of high speed riding. Dr says I'll probably always have it. Thank God for Vicodin.
Yep, I had C5/C6 fused after they removed the blown disc...'bout 3 1/2 years ago. I didn't use a windshield either, and tried to continue ridin that way after the surgery. I finally gave in and installed a detachable windshield...it lets me ride all day without a prob. I still take the windshield off for short, local rides...but, anything over a hunnert miles without the shield, and I'm hurtin like hell.

As to what kinda bike...I still ride my Softail Deluxe with all the comfort I had before the surgery. I wouldn't automatically assume ya can't keep yer FatBoy. Give it a try after recovery, and then make yer decision.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM
REVHAPPY
Tourer

had 3 disc's removed from my neck,fused from c3-c7, best thing i ever did, thought my riding days where over for sure.(b.s. i'd find an old servi car to ride) getting back on the bike was the 2nd best thing. now i feel great,no pain,legs and hand strong.....
note: my surgeon says 95% of all people told they need surgery do not. good luck and i say do it

Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

I'm with REVHAPPY. 6 weeks ago I had 4 cervical verts. removed and a titanium strap and and semi-flexible prosthesis implanted with 8 Ti screws in my neck. I'm 49 and in pretty good shape. Not to say it didn't hurt, but I've started PT 3 times a week and I expect to make a full recovery with nearly full mobility! I agree with staying active and keeping it loose. A positive attitude helps too.

Should have seen the look on my OL's face, (Priceless), when I asked the Doc how soon I could get back on the bike.....Guess she was more concerned with how soon I could get back on her...Silly me.

Quick Reply: BAck Surgery!!?? Any riders Still Rollin'