General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY WIFE JUST BOUGHT A HARLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Xocjm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY WIFE JUST BOUGHT A HARLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm fairly new to the forum and just bought a Softail Standard (sold my Fatboy 2 years ago). My wife rode on the back 2 or 3 times went to the dealership and bought herself a Sportser. I am so proud!!! (and a little scared) Anyone that has a wife, girlfriend, that rides please post and tell me how you feel. I am excited yet protective and a little worried about her riding on her own. She does have dirtbike experience from when she was younger and she is taking the rider safety course. (By the way I can now slam the Softail and ditch the backrest). Post and tell me your thoughts. Michael

Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MY WIFE JUST BOUGHT A HARLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife did that a couple of years ago. I had mixed feelings like you do. I was proud of her, but found myself looking in the mirror a lot, to make sure she was OK. Sounds like yours is a competent rider, so that should help. Congratulations to you both!

Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy Mike, I fully understand your feelings and I think that they are natural ones to have. I don't know anything about your wife, but I feel that she will do her best to try and be safe so you won't worry as much about here. Just give her your support and I think that she will do just fine. I would just take it easy on her for awhile and let her learn at her own pace. Just be supportive and things will work out. Good luck

Old 04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Seawolf
Tourer

I would say since you have more experience than she does to be aware of her limitations when riding together. Try letting her lead so its easy for you to pace with her. She may not want to take corners as fast as you or she may be nervous if your right on her tale and she will want reaction room.
Remember how freaked out you were the first time you rode off into traffic? She will go through that too, so give her space.
Thats my 2 cents. Be safe, both of ya

Old 04-15-2006, 07:29 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

You my friend are a lucky man. I would love to get my wife on her own bike so we could ride together.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

My wife has been riding for several years, and I still worry about her from time to time, but for the most part I am confident in her ability and that she is okay. She is safer and rides better than I do.

On the road I usually lead is case of critters, left turning cages, trash on the highway, and other things that will make you go bump in the night. So far I have always been able to warn her of hazards and help her avoid them. In town she usually leads, because I get lost.

Having your wife ride her own means that you always have your best friend to go riding with.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-15-2006, 09:13 PM
K B
Road Captain

My OL tried to ride a few years back, made it about ten feet, I guess its not for every one. Glad to hear she is taking a riders safety course, the best of luck.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my wife married me I had 5 Harleys and 3 kids, brave girl..as soon as we were married we of course got with child..now how did that happen? after the 4th child was born my wife came out in the garage one night and told me that I really didn't need 5 bikes..so after some thinking about that for about 10 minutes I replied with, how about I teach you to ride, this was before they had riders ed. programs you know back in the 60s..supprise, supprise, she said ok to that..I taught her, she learned and it was great..BUT, I say BUT, everytime we went someplace I worried about her, not for her rideing , she was good, damn good, in fact she rode with some Clubbers and they accepted her.. but I never got over worrying about her, maybe I just loved her to much?? but I let her ride, then she got ill and is now disabled a little, now all her rideing is behind me, but we still do a lot of rideing So I say to you, let your bird fly, when you are infront, you will watch in the mirror and worry a little, when you follow her you may worry a little, but in the long run, you will have a bond with her as your wife and as your best rideing friend that is very hard to beat..congrations on your new rideing partner

Old 04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has really expressed interest in having her own bike. I can see your nervousness,... especially since my wife has never opperated a cycle. I feel much the same way, so I decided that if thats what she wants then I'm cool with it. I just told her that I would sign her up for the MSF course and get her motorcycle license first and if she still wanted one of her own then a visit to the dealer will be in order.

John

Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife is a new rider. She has an XL 1200C. She took the MSF course which, in my opinion, only prepared her to ride in parking lots . They taught on a 250 Kawasaki and when she got on the Sporty, we had to start all over again with the friction zone. Once she ad that, it was out on the road. It's very hard watching and teaching a new rider on the open road and in traffic. I see a thousand things that I react to every mile. I know she may not and probably won't until she gets some mileage under her belt.

I don't remember it being this hard when I learned to ride. Now that I think about it, it's probably harder on me.

Quick Reply: MY WIFE JUST BOUGHT A HARLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!