General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory tour in York or Hd Museum in Milwaukee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
joker1450
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Factory tour in York or Hd Museum in Milwaukee?

Hi, I am planning a trip to USA in May 2009 and I would like to know what is the best experience, the factory tour in York or visit the Hd Museum in Milwaukee?

Any suggest?

thank you!!

Alessandro

Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been to York, but I've been through both Pilgrim Road and Capitol Drive plants in Milwaukee (where it all started) and also to the HD Museum. You can see both plants before lunch. My wife and I spent an afternoon at the Museum, and that wasn't nearly enough time. We need to go back again.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

I have not done the York Tour, but have been to the Museum several times.

I'd suggest joining the Museum if you are coming, then taking advantage of the Friday Archives tour that's offered. There's a lot to see at the place, and you could easily spend a full day or 2 there.

Also, nearby to the museum is the Capitol Road assembly plant where they make the engines for sportsters and the V-rod. That has public tours, so if you go to Milwaukee, you can see both of these. I am not sure if there are tours at the Pilgrim Road facility where they make the Big Twin motor, but that's nearby as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I can't speak for the York factory tour but being from Milwaukee I would recommend seeing the museum. I'm sure the York factory is impressive but it is still a factory tour. If you really like them, there is the engine plant here that you can visit.

The musuem is impressive both inside and out. I go to the grounds often during the riding season to have a bite to eat at the resturant or to just enjoy hanging around the place, which often has events to bring riders in. There's is a nice hotel near by that carters to Harley riders (The Iron Horse).

Milwaukee is a very nice city in late spring. There are plenty of day trips into the county side too. Chicago is not too far away which is always fun for a day, athough getting into the city on a cycle might be a bit hairy.

Enjoy your visit to the USA.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 01-14-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

I have been to the York plant twice, for the Open House. This plant makes the touring motorcycles. During the open house tour, they have demo rides on several types of H-D's, along with many dealers who have motorcycles on display. Plenty of food vendors also.
First years that I went there, getting ready to leave, it took 15 minutes for me to find my Street Bob in the parking lot. Thousands of motorcycles were parked there.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never been to York, but being from Wisconsin I would recommend the Museum and tour of the Capitol Drive plant. You could also stop by the Willie G. development center (right next to Capitol Drive) or the corporate office, although you're very unlikely to get in either of those buildings.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
dyna2319
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would definitely go to the mother ship in Milwaukee, much more to see and do. The plant tour at York is rather short and the CVO building is only open during the open house. You see some of the presses and the assembly line in York but not much else. You may want to time your trip so that you are not there during the change over of model years too. Very restrictive when the new models are coming off the assembly line.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

I would recommend the museum in Milwaukee. It's pretty cool and I think you'll be impressed. While you're in Milwaukee, you can also tour the Miller Brewing plant, if you have time.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
joker1450
Cruiser

Thank You very much! I think I'll go to Milwaukee!

Alessandro

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I've done both and they are both great but I think if I could only do one it would be the Museum Hands Down. You spend as little or as long as you want and you can do it on your own or with a group. In a Factory tour you are led around in a group and it's pretty structured. The Factory is interesting but there is soooooooo much in the Museum that comparing the two is really Apples and Oranges.

Quick Reply: Factory tour in York or Hd Museum in Milwaukee?