General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Harley real daily transportation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Harley real daily transportation?

"Regular" gasoline prices are swiftly closing in on $2.80 per gallon here in Cen. Va. I topped off my SUV's tank (from one half tank on the guage) last night on the way home and it cost me almost $35. Now, predictions are for $4 per gal. come summer.

While motorcycles, motorbikes, and scooters are used the world over for cheap, economical transportation, can the same purpose be applied to our Harleys? Some have indicated here on this forum that, yes, they can.

For me, I don't think so. My bike is a recreational "toy", like most other Harleys, and it is simply not outfitted to be used as daily transport. In order to use it that way I would have to change the entire charactor of my bike - from a flashy Deuce to a, well...I don't know what it would become in order to allow me to carry stuff and ride more comfortable in a wide-range of weather and remain durable as the miles pile up.

I think that two-wheeled transportation is a viable option for many people. Already, I'm noticing an increase in the number of scooters and smaller motorbikes in and around my area. (Sixty miles per gal. is a nice incentive!) I have even seen a few beemers being used, but seldom Harleys.

I wouldn't be hesitant for an instant to go out and find a nice used beemer or some similar bike and use it for daily transportation. I think that I'd prefer leaving the Harley in the garage and ride it just to relax and enjoy the ride.

Anyone feel different?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Crux
Cruiser
Default RE: Is a Harley real daily transportation?

I try to use my bike as much as possible, but for all daily driving applications, it just isn't practical. It'd be pretty hard to go to the grocery store and get more than a couple things on my bike. However, while the weather is acceptable, I try to use it as often as possible as my commuter.

I didn't buy my bike as a cheap source of transportation, but in many cases, it fits that role nicely. But it can't replace my car.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I ride a Harley RK because it is so versitile.

Got bags to haul stuff home or to work. Rides two up forever so my beloved and I can take trips. Windshield to protect me from birds, rocks and the onslaughts of the wind.

I can strip it down and remove the windshield, the Barkolounger seat, slip on the solo seat and ride to bike night alone if I want.

Truth is, I leave it dressed up and enjoy every ride in comfort. No, I don't want to spend the money on a BMW or a Wing. Besides, they aren't a Harley.

I love my RK, it fits me and our lifestyle just fine.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:57 AM
96 Heritage Softail
3rd Gear

Noooooooo, it's not "transportation" (And neither is an SUV).

It takes 20 minutes to dress for riding, and once dressed, you're not geared up to do anything else.

Comparisons abound --

Kayaking, takes special clothing.

Road bicycling, takes special clothing.

This is not to say that I don't "hang out" on the bike. I do hang out, but it's part of riding the Harley. It's not "shopping" or "running errands."

If you want cheap transportation, get yourself a Honda 250 CC rig.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:02 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

if you have a 250 honda you still gotta get dressed. i'll go with the HD.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how you equate your Harley to a "recreational toy." Sounds like you have seriously underestimated your ride and the brand. Maybe your thinking Dyna vs Bagger. My Road King is a serious road machine and I have ridden it daily to work and back since I have owned it plus weekends and every other time I don't have too many people or too much stuff. My commute is 150 miles round trip and it is the hi light of my day- everyday. I didn't buy a show bike. I bought daily transportation and I use it that way. Except for the cam chain tensioner thing last week she has been flawless, dependable transportation I would recommend to anyone. You keep filling your SUV. My RK works great for me. my .02 cents [&:]

Old 04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i ride mine everyday, cept for monsoon days...i much prefer it over my truck(06 F350 crew cab dually Lariat)

Old 04-15-2006, 11:08 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride mine when ever the weather permits saves a ton of time as no traffic wait. I dont need extra time to "gear up" only difference is I throw on a helmet and gloves

Old 04-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never owned a car untill I was 27 years old..Brought my oldest daughter home from the hosp 3 days after she was born..Portsmouth Navy Hosp. The wife and I both had sportsters. that was dec.30 of 1963, we did use the public transportation system on real bad days and takeing the kids to the base Dr., sometimes we used a cab...but yes, you can use your motorcyle more then you think..get more away from pretty and custom look, sell your little custom bike and buy a bagger, heck go buy a bagger with a sidecar..or convert your bike into a trike, sell the gas drinking suv, unless you really need it, 90 % of people that have them really don't need them, they are a Hey look at me I got a Suv..called posers in my book...with the price of gas going up you may have to think outside the box..just my nickles worth..

Old 04-15-2006, 11:31 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get more away from pretty and custom look, sell your little custom bike and buy a bagger, heck go buy a bagger with a sidecar..or convert your bike into a trike, sell the gas drinking suv, unless you really need it, 90 % of people that have them really don't need them, they are a Hey look at me I got a Suv..called posers in my book...with the price of gas going up you may have to think outside the box..just my nickles worth..
Aw, c'mon dude! Don't sugar coat it! How due you really feel?[&:]

Illegitimi Carborundum
International Order of Old Bastards?

Quick Reply: Is a Harley real daily transportation?