General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Harley real daily transportation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Harley real daily transportation?

Wow, three pages worth so far!

What surprised me most was the lopsided responses in favor of riding Harleys for daily transportation. (I wonder, though, if some of the pointed responses scared off anyone else that might have had a different opinion since several of the responses resembled more of an off-topic rant than constructive opinion.)

I think it would be accurate to state that the reason given by those of you who ride almost everyday regardless of most weather conditions was the pure enjoyment of riding, not economy. Would it then be a stretch to state that many of you have simply found a way to fold in a little recreation into what would normally be a regular work day? Thats why I ride into the office ocassionally - recreation, aka "fun". (Due to being on call and the amount of gear I have to carry along, I drive the employer's vehicle most everyday.)

Once again...if fuel economy and daily two-wheeled transportation were the issue, I'd have a second bike in addition to my Harley; one smaller, lighter, and more nimble - maybe like a Triumph Tiger - with the ability to carry a minimum amount of stuff. If I commuted on interstates, or over long distances like some of you, I might choose something different. But, it still wouldn't be my Deuce!

The Deuce will sit in the garage, waiting patiently for me and those warm sunny days when I will ride it out over and through the fields, forests and mountains of Virginia. But its no "garage queen". In the past eight months I've rode her almost 6500 miles, keeping in mind that I don't ride it everyday or on long commutes. Thats quite unlike many I see advertised for sale in the Sunday paper that are two/three years old and only have 1200 miles on them!

Thanks for the "air time. Adios

Old 04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
ndfan
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: KBES BAGGER

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

KBES BAGGER - you seem to have a lot of anger in you, brother. You need a hug or something?
No I dont need a hug, I just say what I mean in the way I mean it with out beating around the bush. I have got into some trouble at work also because I dont care who you are I say what is on my mind. I told the TOP guy at my old company that he was a f#&kin idiot to his face with the rest of the top guy's all staring at me. I dont care.

KB
KBES Bagger= I gotta know. What did the TOP GUY say or do after youcalled him a f'n idiot?

Old 04-16-2006, 11:45 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ride to work everyday, weather providing. On Long Island we have an HOV lane on the Long Island Expressway and single bike riders can use it. Without it I would be sitting in stop & go traffic for 40 miles. I do have a second bike, a 1999 Kaw Vulcan. I consider it my station bike. I would love to replace it with another harley, but would probably get grief from the wife, so I leave well enough alone. Last year the Kaw was in the shop for three months and I used my RK everyday.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I ride my EG Standard 2-4 days a week to work. Usually I'll drive a day or two depending on weather, or if I have something to do (as hard as I try, I can't fix a 36 pack of Diet Pepsi on my bike from Sams' Club or Costco!)

Old 04-16-2006, 01:02 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jezcruzen...did you buy the harley just to fit in to a particular click in the country club? my round trip daily commute to and from work is just over 100 miles. I think that I am more alert and happier on days that I ride, which is almost every day it isnt raining when iI leave the house at 530am, than on those days when im in the car. I do enjoy driving the car also, that is the reason that i bought what i bought. I must admit, it is difficult to carry the golf clubs on my ROADKING. as for getting groceries...that is what the wife is for.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I ride my Electraglide Standard 130 miles a day to work and back. I don't know what it means to take 20 minutes to dress to ride. Even in the worst of conditions it takes maybe five minutes longer to dress for the weather conditions, but normally I just grab the helmet and go. Yes Harley's can and are used as daily transportation. Don't hesitate to get the most out of your bike.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ndfan

ORIGINAL: KBES BAGGER

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

KBES BAGGER - you seem to have a lot of anger in you, brother. You need a hug or something?
No I dont need a hug, I just say what I mean in the way I mean it with out beating around the bush. I have got into some trouble at work also because I dont care who you are I say what is on my mind. I told the TOP guy at my old company that he was a f#&kin idiot to his face with the rest of the top guy's all staring at me. I dont care.

KB
KBES Bagger= I gotta know. What did the TOP GUY say or do after youcalled him a f'n idiot?

Not to much, he had a dumfounded look on his face. He could not believe what I said. After I finished the rest of what I had to say he told me, "That language will not be tolerated and that I have an attitude." He then told me that he has no problem making me sit at home for a week or so till my attitude change's. I told him go for it I need a vacation. My foreman then stepped in and told the Pres. if he sent me home for the week that him and the rest of the crew would also sit at home for the week. When he heard that he kind of changed his whole tune. We were the best underground street crew in that company, if we sat at home for a week in the dead swing of the season it would have been real bad.

KB

Old 04-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Red Road King
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Riding is about destinations and work fits the description. As far as the Harley is concerned, my lifes goal is wear as many out as possible. As far as savings, if your squeezing nickles you'll save some over the cage, but the real savings is on the mental theropy bill. You never see bikes in front of the mental helth clinc! Ride, ride, ride and when you're done go riding again.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:27 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I ride her every day and she'll carry anything I need to take with me.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:19 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I bought my bike as an " EXPENSIVE TOY " , never had the intention to use it as a commuter ! Went carless many years in my 20's , rode in all weather , a snow mobile suit , waterproof boots and a full coverage helmet ( and my age ) made the ride great ! I'm 30 years older and as others mentioned earlier , once cold - cold for the rest of the day . In wet weather my Deuce is in the garage under it's blankie and me doing the same inside the house if possible . Self imposed limit of one day a week commuting although I must admit to more on occasion , rules are made to be broken , especially self imposed ones . Love riding to work but I get off around 2am , lonely, boring stretch of Hwy. Straight , dark , boring ride ( did I mention BORING ? ), would rather be in my truck for the ride home .

Buddy of mine got his bike within a month of me getting mine , puts 30K miles on a year commuting . His body shows more mileage than the bike , got a forever limp from a battle with a cager he lost . In my opinion HARLEYS are built for the longhaul but most would be better suited in an economical cager , cheaper initial cost , cheaper and less frequent repair and maintenance bills , better or equal MPG . Who really wants to do battle daily on crowded freeways / highways with cagers on their phones , putting on make-up , reading the paper or whatever a good percentage of them are doing instead of paying attention to the road ? As my wife says " If I gotta take the freeway , I'll take the bus " , have to agree with her , sometimes necessary to use to get from point A to B - but not every day .

Dan

Quick Reply: Is a Harley real daily transportation?