General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Harley real daily transportation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:45 PM
sultan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Harley real daily transportation?

Daily transportation. Yes. Notice you said daily transportation. I don't grocery shop daily. I use my car only when I have too. I am married with 4 kids, so when it's a family trip I take the car, but riding to work, to the store to pick up a few things, to the gym, etc. I ride the bike. A Harley gets better gas milage than any SUV, and as far as practicality is concerned that is a matter of opinion. If you only brought your bike to be recreational, then in your mind using it daily is not practical, but realistically speaking the Harley was made for riding.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:50 PM
stevent
Road Master

I ride my Dyna pretty much everywhere I go unless it's pouring down rain or below freezing. About the only time I drive anywhere is if I have to take the kids or carry more stuff than I can bungee on the sissy bar. I have a set of bags and a windshield on the shelf in the garage for if I plan on touring or just taking off for a few days and an armored textile riding suit if it's cold out or chance of rain. I'd just rather be riding than driving unless I have to.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:06 PM
scott63
Cruiser

I ride daily. That is why I bought a Road King.
Hail to the king baby!

Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Protrucker
Tourer

Using the bike for economy?[sm=signs003.gif]
That doesn't really work for me. Whenever I get on the bike, what is a twenty mile ride in a cage usually turns into a forty mile ride on the bike. [sm=confused06.gif]It's just so much more enjoyable on the bike that I rarely take the most direct route.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:11 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

I agree with several people on here. I ride my bike every day rain or shine. I bought a bike to ride and that is what I do. I cant stand all the dam people who wine about it being 50 degree's out so they cant ride. Give me break, if you dont ride it sell it. I would go on but it will turn in to a pissing match so I will stop there.
The whole SUV thing also, I dont get it. Like some one above said they are not needed. There are alot of Tahoe's, and Escalade's around here. Guess what 90% of them people buy them for status, have no I dea how to drive, park, back or use there mirrors in them dam over price gas gusseling pieces of ****. What purpose does an H2 have? Oh wait I know NONE. The H1 was the only decent purpose built Hummer. The rest are **** why are they even made. So back on topic I dont need one of them big pieces of ****, I ride my bike every day rain or shine. Yes they work for daily transportation, I can fit my hardhat, tape measure, keel, torpedo level, gloves, a lunch box and a sweatshirt all in one bag. In the other side I have my leather, a jacket, chaps, vest, and another sweatshirt just incase. I still have a little room to spare. If it is raining I snap on the windsheild. I own a truck because I do several thing's that require hauling. About the only time I drive the truck is if I need the bed space.

KB

Old 04-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say, I didn't buy my bike for gas mileage, that's a plus. But I ride it every day unless it's pouring or storming out. I have been caught in a hail storm and that was no fun!
I love riding to work, and many times when the end of the day comes, my wife will ride hers to my work and then we hit the backroads for some great early evening rides.
Mine is definitely a daily rider, but not to save money, I just love to ride.
Phil

Old 04-15-2006, 03:16 PM
gsparesa
Tourer

You could consider converting your bike into a Magnum. Click Here.

“Magnum is an excellent example of how ultralight construction can result in both high fuel economy and sports car performance. This motorcycle-based three-wheeler outperforms most production sports cars, and still delivers fuel economy roughly equivalent to that of the original motorcycle.”

See the video [Click Here]

[IMG]local://upfiles/296/7D7FDF2CDEDD4DD8BD29D86D759F20FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/296/059273EE0E054059B5D891CDDF94A61E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/296/62E2CB6124C54B02B052B438BA5718D9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2006, 04:09 PM
msheldon
Cruiser

Yup, definitely daily transportation. I ride my bike to work every day, rain or shine. My wife rides hers daily, except in bad weather. She's not as stubborn as me.

As for re-fitting it? Nah, just get the detachable sissybar, and use a T-bag. Those things hold a LOT, and have a more practical shape than most saddlebags. And when you don't need it, you can take it off and return to the clean look.

Now, do I ride my bike for everything? Heck no. Sometimes I have to haul large or heavy gear, my dogs, multiple passengers or tow my trailer. I haven't figured out any way to haul a dozen sheets of plywood on my bike yet. For that, I have my truck. However, by only using the truck when I need it, it will often not move from the driveway for two weeks at a time. I've saved a LOT of gas that way.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride it!!!

Old 04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got a 2000 S10 I got new that I just turned 40,000mi on, and Id say 98% of those miles are during the winter. From April to Nov. I don't think I put much more then 2 tank's of gas through it. If it wasn't for winter I probably wouldn't have 10,000 miles on it. So I would say yes daily transportation.

Quick Reply: Is a Harley real daily transportation?