General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened at my local parts counter...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened at my local parts counter...

I've got to tell everyone about an experience I just had at a very popular and busy St. Louis, Mo area dealer this past Friday. I stopped by after work and went to the parts counter and this kid came up to me that looked no more than maybe 19yrs. old at the most. I asked him for an oil filter for my 2000 Night Train. He proceeds to ask me " Is that a Twin Cam 96?". I looked at him an said "Its a 2000 model! The 96 didn't come out until 2006." He said "Oh, OK". I just blew it off. I let it go. Then he brings a filter out in a black box that just said Harley Davidson oil filter on the side. I asked him if that was the Superpremium5 filter. He say "Yes". I said it doesn't look like it. He then tells me "Oh, they are just putting it in a different box now. I told him "No way, look it up in the computer". He looks it up and whatta ya know, its the wrong one. He looked mad and got me the correct one. I just want to know how these dealers hire these parts people that don't have a clue about Harleys. Its a simple oil filter!!

Anyone else experienced this kind of problem???

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
monster fxstc
Banned

Generally avoid HD dealers like the plague...was looking for a new oil tank for the scoot and asked the counter guy how much was an oil bag for a softail. He just looked at me and asked what?

So I repeated...how much for an oil bag on a softail. He said, oh! You mean an oil tank.

Yes...yes I did.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had many issues getting the right parts (or getting parts at all) from one local dealer. Most recently I went in and told the kid at the parts counter I needed a kickstand spring and his reply was "No you don't". I said, "OK, maybe I don't". I walked out, drove an hour to the next closest dealer and bought it there.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Originally Posted by monster fxstc
Generally avoid HD dealers like the plague...was looking for a new oil tank for the scoot and asked the counter guy how much was an oil bag for a softail. He just looked at me and asked what?

So I repeated...how much for an oil bag on a softail. He said, oh! You mean an oil tank.

Yes...yes I did.
I try to avoid them but I haven't had alot of good experiences with some of the aftermarket stuff out there.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
cajunvroder
6th Gear
Default These people don't have a clue and don't care

I just turned 10,000 on my Vrod and wanted to change the oil. I bought a filter at the local dealer about 30 miles from my home. When I bought the filter the guy asked me if I wanted a chrome or black filter. I went with the chrome filter because my Vrod is pretty much chromed out. Well a couple of days later I put the bike up on the jack and drain out the old oil. After waiting for all the oil to drain I tried to screw in the new chrome filter the damn thing will not thread. I sat down and tried to figger out how I managed to screw up a simple oil change. Then I looked at the new filter and at the old filter it seemed that one was larger than the other I put my finger in each and there was definately a problem here. So its back to the dealer its saturday so I'm hurrying to get there. I talked to the manager and he was sure I had the wrong filter. Now he tells me that I can;t bring back a filter that has been installed. DUH!! the damn thing will not fit you morone. No apology or gas money for the wasted time and expense its like I'm bothering them. Oh the only filter for the Vrod is black.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Drum
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nighttrain72970
I just want to know how these dealers hire these parts people that don't have a clue about Harleys.
Could have been the owners son, ya never know. I do understand what your saying but the kid has to start somewhere.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I sure hope they don't let the kid work in service.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Originally Posted by Drum
Could have been the owners son, ya never know. I do understand what your saying but the kid has to start somewhere.
I understand, but we are talkin about an oil filter. Shouldn't that be one of the first things you might learn as a parts person.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your experience at the dealer is soley based upon the bonehead helping you from parts guy to sales rep.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 PM
pontiac80
Cruiser

that's y I always bring the old one with me and check the parts in the car.

everyone has to start somewhere. Parts dept jobs don't pay real good.

Quick Reply: What happened at my local parts counter...