General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?????????The week before sturgis????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
billb7984
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?????????The week before sturgis????????

Hello friends,Does anyone know if there is alot of things going on at sturgis the week before the big event,if there is ,I bet everything would be alot cheaper ,and you might even be able to get a motel room at a reasonable rate,anyone ever been out there at that time???? thanks BILL

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

When I go to Sturgis, I always go the week before. Everything I enjoy doing there is available and more accessible the week before the rally. Less traffic makes it easier to visit all the great places like Custer State Park, Deadwood, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Custer, Badlands National Park..... I usually plan my trip so I am leaving the area the day the rally starts. Last time I was there, there was already thousands of bikes there before I left. Accomodations are easier to find along the way there and home too if you go before the rally starts.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty much, ALL the vendors will be set up, no prob.
In fact, those that I know (vendors) have been telling us, their BEST 'sales' days, are the Fri and Sat, jus' before the rally.
The "GOOD" deals are on Thursday, WEEK OF the rally. Vendors don't wanna haul it home.

You will not be having concerts, races, shows, etc., but reduced (?) crowds.
Do not be deceived, the ppl out there have been doing this for almost 70 yrs. They are 'bout 8 or 9 steps in front of you.

IF you can be flexible, you can get the best prices on rooms (if that's what you want) just before the rally. Ppl who made res. last year, either cannot go, or decide they cannot afford to go, and will try to recoup some of their $$ for the non-refundable room.

WHEN it works out, Momma and I like to go out on Thursday, B4 the rally. And we 'plan' to stay til next Thursday. I take my van out, loaded with tools (Can you say hardtail panhead ??? ) IF I can snag a couple of 'jobs', (starter, tires, RV fix, what have you) while out there, then we can afford to stay thru the whole weekend. Come back on Sunday night.
We camp, even tho I have a lot of friends and family out there, we can stay with. We go out to visit the ppl we have met over the yrs.
FYI - First Sturgis, 1972.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 01-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
hdkuehn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the trip the week before last year. I had a blast. We stayed in Keystone - Rooms weren't terribly priced. Lots of action in that town with Bikes and whatnot. Riding was great. Went into Sturgis for 1 day and checked out the vendors and all that Jazz. Everything appeared to be setup and rolling. Checked out a few of the bars and everything.

I think it was a blast. We're doing the same trip this year as well. Coming back the Sunday before the rally.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For 16yrs I went to sturgis and allways the 1st weekend get to RC thurs(fri,sat left sun)smaller crowd,easier to see the sites.....stopped going in 96 and never looked back...Iam sure some here remember befor buf chip was built up 82,83......

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger56528
For 16yrs I went to sturgis and allways the 1st weekend get to RC thurs(fri,sat left sun)smaller crowd,easier to see the sites.....stopped going in 96 and never looked back...Iam sure some here remember befor buf chip was built up 82,83......
Ya mean FREE camping in the City parks?????
WALKING(and thus PUSHING) distance from the bars????
LEO: "Son, what are you doing, riding this contraption, in that condition?"
"Sir, you really do not think I can WALK in this condition, do you?"

Enough ******* on Main St to make Wisconsin milk cows jealous?????
Sitting on the curb, smokin' a "J" and drinkin' beer, watchin' the nightly parade?????
OR mo' importantly, the REAL bikers?????

Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Ya mean FREE camping in the City parks?????
WALKING(and thus PUSHING) distance from the bars????
LEO: "Son, what are you doing, riding this contraption, in that condition?"
"Sir, you really do not think I can WALK in this condition, do you?"

Enough ******* on Main St to make Wisconsin milk cows jealous?????
Sitting on the curb, smokin' a "J" and drinkin' beer, watchin' the nightly parade?????
OR mo' importantly, the REAL bikers?????
Yepper thos were the days.....around 94,95 then 96 did it for me,got to RUB<DINK(money,look at me thing) and seemed like 4-5 cops on every corner and no more fun on the strip...........

Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the week before and stayed at the Air Force Base Family Camp (Rapid City). Managed to put over 800 miles on the bike that week riding from 8am to 6pm everyday visiting all the great sights and towns. Had a lot of time to spend in the surrounding cities like Deadwood, Hill, Custer, etc. etc. I didn't have to deal with any heavy traffic and it was easy getting around the area. The weekend before the official opening of Stugis was when all the Motorcycle traffic really picked up. Enjoyed parking my bike in downtown Sturgis and watch all the humanity and motorcyles go by. If you have the time I would highly recommend coming early to get your riding/sight seeing in before the craziness of the Rally begins. I passed a lot of bikers heading home as I was arriving in the area a week early. It appears that a lot of riders come earlier so they won't have to deal with the traffic and leave before Sturgis Rally week begins.