General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach Declares: Biker Weeks Are Over

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 09:18 AM
GerryP
Intermediate

<Snip>
When watching the news you’ll notice that if they want a reaction from the locals to any given event that the media doesn’t care about they find the most uneducated bikers they can find. At Myrtle Beach, the bikers that looked the worst were showcased and the damn instigators of the whole think were the ones that were interviewed. Funny, they didn’t show anyone like us, instead only a handful of the minority as usual in their interviews. [/QUOTE]

True dat!

Wasn't that what happend way back in Hollister?..that famous picture of the drunk on the motorcycle surrounded by "empties" that got nation wide publicity was completely staged by the press.

regards,

Gerry

Old 01-14-2009 | 09:20 AM
Airpump
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GerryP
<Snip>
When watching the news you’ll notice that if they want a reaction from the locals to any given event that the media doesn’t care about they find the most uneducated bikers they can find. At Myrtle Beach, the bikers that looked the worst were showcased and the damn instigators of the whole think were the ones that were interviewed. Funny, they didn’t show anyone like us, instead only a handful of the minority as usual in their interviews.
True dat!

Wasn't that what happend way back in Hollister?..that famous picture of the drunk on the motorcycle surrounded by "empties" that got nation wide publicity was completely staged by the press.

regards,

Gerry[/quote]

Don't surprise me at all!!!

Old 01-14-2009 | 10:53 AM
bfrmbama
Tourer

Hey, check out Thunder Beach in Panama City (www.thunderbeachproductions.com). The vendors aren't the greatest but you can't beat the beautiful beaches and 84 degree weather. Also, it's not too crowded...

Old 01-14-2009 | 11:09 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by huffhuff
actually they won't lose a dime. they just won't take any in. you lose when money in your pocket is removed not because you never had it in the first place. SORRY i'm big on semantics. same as "i saved $20K today. I didn't buy a new car". Where's the $20K then? LOL. "John had his car stolen". why isn't John in jail? LOL.
You're right - they won't lose money, but they won't make any either. So, if they have the profit they make off their bike weeks tied to some public improvement project, they're SOL. Plus, any small business owner who relies on bike week to keep the doors open, will most likely have to layoff employees or close their doors. Someone will suffer...

Old 01-14-2009 | 11:57 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

What is the real issue here?

BLACK BIKE WEEK plain and simple.

I have a great friend who is BLACK and also a Harley rider in Charleston. I have another good friend that lives in Myrtle Beach and he is not a biker but liked bike week. They both told me first hand that the real problem here is BLACK bike week and the leaders in Myrtle Beach feel that they must do away with both or it will appear to be racist. I continue to hear this same thing from fellow riders I know in the area.

The full time residents of Myrtle Beach received a survey and were asked to vote on whether or not to continue with Bike Week and from what I understand they mostly liked the standard Harley bike week but hated the black bike week. Many of the resturants started closing because large groups would come in, eat, make a mess and walk out without paying. The down town main streets were trashed and looked like a garbage dump and folks were even having sex on the side of streets in the grass.

Again it appears that we must get rid of the good things in life to be fair to those that have no respect in the name of fairness.

Now as for Myrtle Beach I don't like to go there anymore. We perfer to spend spend our $$$ in Charleston, Isle of Palms and the Outer Banks.

I would be willing to bet they will miss the $$$ from bike week.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 01-14-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2009 | 02:18 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

I was just wondering how can the city of MB say that the rally is dead since the don't sponsor it at all. Especially going out of state to do it. Maybe they can just change the name to SC Harley Davidson rally since they do sponsor it.

Old 01-14-2009 | 02:43 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

The bikers don't need the cooperation of the town, but the town most certainly needs the cooperation of the bikers. The bikers have every right to be there. As long as they are there with money to spend there will be vendors there welcoming them with open arms and the city can't do anything about that either. The only thing they can legally do is what is necessary to maintain order. This type of thing is really, at it's very core, a decision to fail to maintain order. They will only last as long as it takes them to realize that and then it will be back to business as usual.

Old 01-14-2009 | 06:57 PM
partsman366
6th Gear
Default MB Bike Week

I Have a shirt that says this week bike week next week buck week

Old 01-14-2009 | 07:37 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Default your area is better

I like your area much better than MB...MB city limit blows anyway. If I lived where you do, I sure as hell wouldn't need Myrtle Beach. I only stay in south MB(MB Resort..next to Lakewood) because it puts me closer to my favorite fishing hole...and no, I ain't telling you where that is!
Originally Posted by Rhonda
We only live an hour from Myrtle Beach, so Myrtle Beach has always been in my life growing up. In 2001, my husband and I started attending the rally after we bought our first Harley. Then in 2002, we started camping at Lakewood Campground during the rally as we bought a toy hauler (since becoming a motorhome). Since that time, every bike week we stay at Lakewood because it is the ONLY campground we could find that will allow you to keep your bike at your campsite and this is ONLY during bike week. All the other campgrounds don't allow you to even RIDE your bike through the campground even during bikeweek. They make you keep it outside or on another fenced in property somewhere (we refused to stay somewhere where we had to do that). We have been camping with our motorcycle all over the land since 2002 and THE ONLY PLACE WE HAVE EVER STAYED AT THAT DID NOT ALLOW MOTORCYCLES AT THE CAMPGROUNDS WAS IN MYRTLE BEACH. All the other campgrounds in other cities welcome them as long as you obey common sense rules.

So, Myrtle Beach, in my opinion has NEVER really been motorcycle friendly as a whole. And now that they are banning bike week? Well, I can do without them. Too many other places that welcome us and our bikes and our money with open arms. To heck with them. No more Myrtle Beach bike week for us....there's more to do, and too much fun to be had elsewhere instead of pining over a city that didn't want us in the first place. But it IS a shame.

Old 01-14-2009 | 08:11 PM
jwlehman
Road Master

Never understood the draw of the huge rallies anyway...I like to people watch just like anybody, but when they get too big, they lose their appeal for me...

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach Declares: Biker Weeks Are Over