General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach Declares: Biker Weeks Are Over

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 07:13 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior

I think they are counting on a reduction in property insurance to make up for the loss of revenue.

Old 01-13-2009 | 08:04 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I don't give a rats rear about MB, however I'm thinking some more fine "cities" may soon follow their lead.

Old 01-13-2009 | 08:19 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Thought about going once to check it out but will probably never go now. Too many places where I am welcome and my obnoxious motorcycle and obnoxious *** is less offensive as long as I bring the money.
LOL.... I agree. Too many other places to go that would welcome us (and our money)!!!!

Old 01-13-2009 | 08:28 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

I've given MB a bunch of money over the years. I will never spend another fuggin' penny there.

I've made the appropriate changes... Daytona baby!

Old 01-13-2009 | 08:37 PM
RaZZlo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hardluk1
No big loss there , just move a bit north like north carolina or south to savana maybe. Been twice and other than a couple cool bars would not go there again.
Welcome to Savannah !!!. Y'all should come to out St. Patricks Day Celebration to check things out. 2nd largest in the country.

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:02 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member

And to think that the wife and I were going to plan a vacation so we could ride down from MA and attend.

Their loss ($$$), not mine.

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:10 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Default I'm glad I don't own a business in Myrtle Beach.

It's all politics! The local Chamber and City Officials are out of touch with their constituants. I bet none of them ride a H-D, or really care about the guy that relies on that income to feed their family or make their house payments. The new ordinances are a joke. I didn't know that a city could have a helmet law that supercedes the states authority. Well, it ought to be interesting when local elections roll around. Like others, I will no longer vacation in Mrytle Beach. Hello, Daytona or Cocoa Beach.

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:32 PM
09Bagger
Advanced

Originally Posted by HHI Dave
I wish they would just come out and admit the real reason was not "Myrtle Beach Bike Week" but rather "Sport Bike Week" aka "Memorial Day Bike Week" aka some other less PC names.

I actually ran a bar in MB for a while (Two Dollar Bills) and got to know a lot of the local business owners, particularly hospitality/food/beverage businesses. They loved bike week. They closed during "sportbike" week. And they got sued for it.

I agree that "Sport Bike Week" aka "Memorial Day Bike Week" the week after "Myrtle Beach Bike Week" is the real reason Myrtle Beach took this action. It is pretty obvious after so many business closed during the second week but not the first week every year. This has been a battle for years there. Not a big surprise.

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:45 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nathanw
I'd be interested to know what percentage of yearly revenue is earned during bike week. It cant be that much other wise local business owners would never let this happen.
One business owner ( hotel ) who is against this BS says that he'll lose over 1.5 million if he HD rally leaves MB. He and the others should have spoken up sooner than they did. We'll have to wait and see what happens in Feb when the helmet law takes effect. I want to know how they are going to handle MB when they supersede the states helmet law. Last time I checked they can't really enforce it. It will not be reported to DMV and will be handled by the city admin office. What will they do if you don't show up to pay??

Old 01-13-2009 | 11:02 PM
roadrunningfatboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by NewHarleyGear
It's all politics! The local Chamber and City Officials are out of touch with their constituants. I bet none of them ride a H-D, or really care about the guy that relies on that income to feed their family or make their house payments. The new ordinances are a joke. I didn't know that a city could have a helmet law that supercedes the states authority. Well, it ought to be interesting when local elections roll around. Like others, I will no longer vacation in Mrytle Beach. Hello, Daytona or Cocoa Beach.
a few years ago the city of chicago tried to put a helmet law in effect inside the city limits, it got tossed because the city overstepped its power. the truth is for whatever reason it has been made clear to us that we are not welcome so f*ck em. my money's green and I'll spend it where I'm welcome. MotorcycleEvents.com lists lots of places to go so check it out and go. oh tell em MB sent you.

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach Declares: Biker Weeks Are Over