General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach Declares: Biker Weeks Are Over

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 03:03 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Hey...tell me all about it and where it is and we will probably go!!
Wow, it's actually been moved to October. I wish they'd move it to May now that MBBW is kaput.

Here's a link: http://www.harleybay.com/custompage.asp?pg=bikefest

Started a few years back by a major Harley dealer. Nowhere near as big as MB yet. A lot more laid back. Beautiful riding, good restaurants, etc.

I see they are calling it OBX Bike Fest now.

Old 01-13-2009 | 03:06 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HHI Dave
I wish they would just come out and admit the real reason was not "Myrtle Beach Bike Week" but rather "Sport Bike Week" aka "Memorial Day Bike Week" aka some other less PC names.

I actually ran a bar in MB for a while (Two Dollar Bills) and got to know a lot of the local business owners, particularly hospitality/food/beverage businesses. They loved bike week. They closed during "sportbike" week. And they got sued for it.
You come damn close to the real reason. A particular shade of sport bike rider. Soon to invade the Phoenix area for the NBA all star week. Hope it doesn't turn out like last years in Vegas. You could swap out what they did in Vegas for what they did in MB. just my .02.

Old 01-13-2009 | 03:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I have written off MB and Daytona for good, I'm retired well to do and go to rallies every year. Those two cities will never get one cent from me including vacations not on a motorcycle.

My wife doesn't ride so after each rally, I take her to the locations and go to the same dinners and what not. So, they get my money twice. No more.

Old 01-13-2009 | 03:59 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Who cares, really. A good opportunity for some ,motivated person(biker) who knows what bikers like, to take the lead and establish something for the biker and by the biker. Build it and they will come.

Old 01-13-2009 | 04:00 PM
midlife rider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have written off MB and Daytona for good
Why Daytona?

Old 01-13-2009 | 04:16 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

i hope they come to Canada for Rallies.. we dont have enough here..

Old 01-13-2009 | 04:38 PM
amike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2K1FLHPI
"But perhaps the biggest cost of all was the effect the rallies had upon our quality of life. Residents were no longer willing to give up the month of May."

I can understand that. Sometimes things get out of hand. Enough instances like that over the years would be enough to put off any resident from future rallies.
No...what you have is a freaking bunch of "Blue Hairs" that have decided to live in a tourist town, but don't want any tourist. I have vacationed two weeks of every year in Myrtle Beach for the past 8 years. One of those weeks is always Bike Week. I will never spend another dime in Myrtle Beach. Turn it in to a old folks home and maybe they'll be satisfied.

Last edited by amike; 01-13-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:41 PM
amike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiggyAZ
No biggie. Not like their aren't 100 other biker events to choose from.
True...as long as that other bunch don't follow us.

Old 01-13-2009 | 04:51 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned

The MDA is supposed to have the Ladies of Harley MDA ride there. I just got notified not less than two weeks ago. Signed up for it. It is in Florida. Wonder why the Harley Members Only area hasn't notified me or us of any changes? Hmmmmm.

Old 01-13-2009 | 04:58 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc

Everybody bring your ***** to OBX bike week in April. Lets grow that sucker. You'll still have to wear a helmet but as far as I know, we are not "not wanted there" - at least not yet.

+1......Have been in April for the last 2 years, to Outer Banks Bikefest, had a blast both times and plan on attending this year. Shhhhh...Don't tell....Best kept secret....Traffic was very managable and riding and sights were AWESOME! Haven't been to MB Rally since '96 seemed to go downhill from years past by then even. Now I will by-pass MB at all costs!

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach Declares: Biker Weeks Are Over