General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
lanceropolis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Question

I am contemplating buying an HJC polo style helmet, as it is DOT approved. I was thinking I would just bite the bullet and buy a carbon fiber, but I have heard mixed reviews. Is 100 bucks really going to save my life? I have a full face now, and am just tired of not feeling the wind in my face. I like full faces for the cold, but I feel like I am missing the experience of riding in the wind. So, my question is should I get the HJC for 40 bucks brand new, or pay 150 something for a carbon fiber?

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Lance

Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I think everyone will have a different answer for you on this one.

Here's my view. I wear a hemet, a full face. But that's because it's the law where I live.

When I'm riding in Arizona or other states that don't require me to wear a helmet, I sometimes don't wear a helmet.

I have problems with my eyes and don't like the wind blowing in them. If I have my goggles, I will sometimes take off the helmet when allowed.

I figure if I get in a bad enough accident where it's a matter of the helmet saving my life or not, I'm gonna be pretty screwed up anyway. yeah, strange way to looking at things, but I'm 50 years old, been licensed to ride since I turned 16. So far, the odds are with me. (knocking on wood).

I say wear what you like and feel confortable (safe) wearing. I know some rider who will NEVER ride without a helmet. And I know some who can't wait to take them off where allowed. To each their own.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

As long as it is DOT approved, I would get whatever helmet suits my tastes. First in regards to fit and feel, then second in looks. With that said, I wear a HJC at work. It is bulky and heavy. I hate it. I have a DOT approved THH helmet that I sometimes wear off-duty that is much lighter.

http://helmetcountry.ecrater.com/pro...hp?pid=2087386

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=CGC_02-3326

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

"I figure if I get in a bad enough accident where it's a matter of the helmet saving my life or not, I'm gonna be pretty screwed up anyway."

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Two months ago I got clipped in the left saddle bag by a car doing 85-90 mph (I was doing about 65 on the freeway). The impact was so violent I was stunned and had no clue what had happened - never saw it coming at all. The next thing I knew I was flat on my back surfing the pavement at 65 or so for the next couple hundred feet.

Luckily i was geared-up with a Fox Creek Classic I jacket and their elkskin gloves, Cortech leather lined jeans, etc and FF helmet. A witness stopped and told me what happened (the AH who hit me fled the scene and was never found). The only reason I'm here telling this story is cuz of that helmet. I landed on the back of my head at 65 mph when I fell free from the bike.

That leather jacket, gloves, etc saved me from major road rash - which is a painful and slow healing injury - otherwise I was fine. Nothing broken and just some minor rash on my lower back where my jacket had slid up a few inches cuz of the way I was sliding on my back.

I walked away cuz of that helmet. I know that's just one example but it only has to happen to you once to become a believer in wearing good gear.

I've heard of a case where a passenger fell off the back of a bike at 10 mph and die cuz of the head impacting on the pavement. In another case that I investigated as an LEO I saw a guy die of head injuries from falling off the back of a pick-up at 15-20 mph.

The head is very fragile. The rest of you is pretty tough and can take some serious abuse in many cases and you'll be OK with time.

Stay safe all of you...

Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
hincheec
Cruiser

I wear a full face HJC helmet. There is no helmet law here in SC. When I was a teenager, I flipped a four wheeler and landed on my head, putting a star fracture in the snowmobile helmet I was wearing. I never wore a helmet before on the faour wheeler, and dont know why I did that day. I am glad I did, I surely would have been dead without it.

Plus the wife says I have too......

Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
cudski
Cruiser

Hey Lanceropolis,
I was in the same situation at the beginning of the summer. I bought the carbon fiber helmet....its awesome! www.carbonfiberhelmets.com BTW, I also wear a full face.

Buy the carbon fiber....just my 2 cents.

Ride Safe!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the ACC carbon fiber helmet for Christmas and love it. It's light, super strong, and comfortable. They send you removable pads of different depth to let you customize to your size. I have heard some interesting things about carbon fiber splintering but I don't believe it. I hit my head hard at Willows Springs and the only thing that saved me was the carbon fiber Arai helmet, expensive but figure my melon is worth it. I own several half helmets and will probably not wear any other than the new one ever again.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
I think everyone will have a different answer for you on this one.

Here's my view. I wear a hemet, a full face. But that's because it's the law where I live.

When I'm riding in Arizona or other states that don't require me to wear a helmet, I sometimes don't wear a helmet.

I have problems with my eyes and don't like the wind blowing in them. If I have my goggles, I will sometimes take off the helmet when allowed.

I figure if I get in a bad enough accident where it's a matter of the helmet saving my life or not, I'm gonna be pretty screwed up anyway. yeah, strange way to looking at things, but I'm 50 years old, been licensed to ride since I turned 16. So far, the odds are with me. (knocking on wood).

I say wear what you like and feel confortable (safe) wearing. I know some rider who will NEVER ride without a helmet. And I know some who can't wait to take them off where allowed. To each their own.
just about what i would have said

Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want carbon fiber and you want a polo style try HCI. I have one of their carbon fiber DOT polo helmets and I think its great. http://www.maxhelmetsupply.com/hci105poseca.html (just a link, not the cheapest place to get it)

Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM
luvmy03spt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently wear a HJC full face in Pa. but only had it since September of last year. When the weather starts to get warmer than we'll see about taking off the shield and putting on sun glasses. We'll decide that way or either going a 3/4 with sun glasses. Either way we are keeping one on.

Quick Reply: Helmet Question