General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Totaled Low Rider

Well I've got to vent a little. One of my good friends was stopped at a light the sat. before christmas and some kid texting on his phone.....didn't see the red light or my friend or anything else. Just plowed right into him pining the scoot between his car and the car in front. My friend landed on top of the kids car. First words out of the kid not "are you ok?" or "I'm sorry" noooo "I don't want to report this and please don't sue me" ...My friend could't even get up!!!! As it turned out, My friend wasn't seriously injured. Lots of bruises and 4 ruptured discs, well I guess that is serious. Anyway he is doing great now and wants to repair the scoot. Believe it or not. The LR wasn't damaged too bad. Having repaired harleys for years I thought it looked pretty good. The Worst is the tins and rear wheel and one down tube also the fork stop on the bottom tripple tree is broke(thats how the dent got in the tank. It's a 03 and he wants the original anniversry paint back. I looked every thing over it all measured perfect and straight. Now for the other bad part. the kids insurance wanted a certified harley shop to check it out before they issued any $. Their estiment: $11,113.16 They have every nut, bolt, washer including frame swing arm wheels tires(only one wheel damaged)seat lights ect. Every thing but motor and trans, but including belt primary plus other things that are not damaged. Well book value is only$10,500 and they only will pay up to 80% And he purchased the bike a little over a year ago and he is upside down on the loan. Granted he is going to sue and sure, the settlement should be good, but I hate what the dealer is doing. They have to have a scam going on the side or something. I don't know, maybe they buy them back from the ins.co. and sell off the parts or rebuild.. My friends insurance(Geico) was ready to write a check for 5,200. Anyway, he's out his baby and they (the kids ins) told him to take it as this was their only offer. He wants his bike back without a salvage title. I've told him to claim it with his ins. and lets fix it. The dealer told him he cannot, once they have declared it totaled in the system(?) it is deemed salvaged. I said only three people can change the title, him, the state and lein holder. Anyway I have talked to him about as much as I know. Anyone have any thoughts on the situation?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

I would lean on the kid for the unpaid balance to get the bike back like it was. Don't take the pity story about how he has his whole life ahead of him and this will make it too tough. If he was really concerned about his future, he would be paying more attention to what he is doing. I would hire an attorney to look through that kids every nook and cranny to see if he has a trust fund set up for him or a rich uncle.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Get an attorney!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's not dealing with his own insurance company, he's dealing with the kids and this is what attorneys are for. He has the right to have a bike that is for all practical purposes just like the one that was damaged and in as like condition. Go ahead, total the bike and you better find me one that puts me in the same position I was in before your idiot client hit me. Furthermore, you will pay for any lost time, medical rehab bills or anything that costs me money due to the incident. Can you tell I have been here before? Yeah, it's time for the professional to get involved as he will likely get screwed on his own.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Guys, hes got an attorney, and he just advised him to get as much$ out of the ins. co as he can. The attorney is handling the lawsuit. He is just pissed off about whats happping with his scoot. He wants it back...he, like me doesn't understand how the dealer could total it...

Dave

Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

And awhile back I was picking him up at our local dealer(not the one the bike is at)(thats another story) when a dyna came in on a flatbed after being laid down looked perfect except for a broken turn signal and some slight scratches. I said to the shop foreman " Thats and easy fix" he said " Oh no, that bike is totaled". He did not comment on the look on my face. I just wonder, is it some secret thing dealers have go going with dammaged scoots, "ah, just total it and we can sell him a new one"?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

He can never ride a bike again. Just too much pain and psychological damage. Least till his lawsuit is settled.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
He can never ride a bike again. Just too much pain and psychological damage. Least till his lawsuit is settled.
I love it.....

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Hey ! thats good. thats got to be worth a couple million or so. Well, it would be to me...

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Moonrider
Guys, hes got an attorney, and he just advised him to get as much$ out of the ins. co as he can. The attorney is handling the lawsuit. He is just pissed off about whats happping with his scoot. He wants it back...he, like me doesn't understand how the dealer could total it...

Dave
The attorney should be telling him to get as much as he can out of anything, that's what he is paying the attorney for; to get it. And trust me, at 30% or more he's paying.

Quick Reply: Totaled Low Rider