General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
He can never ride a bike again. Just too much pain and psychological damage. Least till his lawsuit is settled.
__________AND Don't Forget I Can't have Sex Now either...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac80
ok here is the deal with ins companies I'm a body man.

only a LIC auto body shop can write a estimate for repair. U have the right to take it to and LIC shop u want. most INS company will only pay out 80% of the full value of the vehicle.

If the bike has aftermarket parts that would increase the value. like pipes, grips, bars. They have to add that on to the book value.

Get your bike out of the dealer. They are the worst people u can deal with. Have it towed out.

don't give the title to anyone. If the bike is totaled you can keep it and still have a clean title. They will send you a check and u can do what ever u want with the money and the bike.
Uhhh? I agree with the first part. The dealer CANNOT total the scoot. They right the estimate, the ins. co looks at it, if over the 80% as you state, then THEY total it. BUT THEY NOW OWN IT.
Some ins cos will indeed sell it back to you for pennies. Others have 'deals' with ppl who dispose of them. ALL of them. Either auctions, outright buyouts, what have you, and you do not even get the opportunity to buy it from them, even if you wanted to.
BUT I do agree, Get the scoot home, turn the skunk loose on the brat.
PLUS side, at least the kid could speak English.

I understand the estimate, and the totaled. Guess I am unclear as to why they (ins co) are only offering $5200. Or did I miss something??
Never mind, I reread it, that's from HIS co.

Also, up here, when you have a salvage scoot, as long as you document the parts (OEM quality), and have it done at a licensed facility, you can have the state come out, verify what it is, and then they can remove the salvaged from the title. It is a PITA, but it is a way to clear a title, if that is paramount.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go for 250k + bike and all unseen med bills for back injuries due to accident.......just dont try to defraud the Ins comp.......they get a hold of people like me when that happens or they think its going on......

Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to change the subject, but that's one of the reasons us California boys split lanes to the front of the line at stoplights. It's also harder to get rear ended when you're threading traffic than sitting in it like a dead duck waiting for some azzhole to cream you from behind.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
RodT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texting while driving is not only dumb, its just massivley irresponsible. This is one biker that needs an agressive lawyer. If this kid and his insurnance have to pay in a big way, you can bet this is one kid that most likely will be more careful in the future if for no other reason because of the cost of insurnance after there is a judgement. And that alone may save someone elses life or even his own. Calif just passed a law beginning Jan 1 , no texting while driving.
I delayed getting a lawyer in another type of case and I am paying for it. Your friend needs to get one without delay and just let the attorney know....go for everything.
I drive 90,000 miles a year on my job and see a lot of very stupid things, often resulting in serious injury or death. "Stupid" should be made to pay big time.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 That's why I always stop far enough back and off set towards the sides of the lane. If you wish to run me over --you will be chasing me between the cars or on the shoulder. Depending where I line up.
Originally Posted by MATUCHI
Not to change the subject, but that's one of the reasons us California boys split lanes to the front of the line at stoplights. It's also harder to get rear ended when you're threading traffic than sitting in it like a dead duck waiting for some azzhole to cream you from behind.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What are the liability limits of that kid's ins?

Did he own the car he was driving? If not, who did, and what were their limits? (Parents?)

How much money would you guess the kid and/or the owners have, just looking at their house/lifestyle?

You can't get blood from a stone. If he has low limits, and no other responsible party with ins. and assets, you'll not get more than the limits of the policy.

+1 on chronic pain, can't have sex, scared to ever ride again, etc. until the ins. co gets serious.

$.02

Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBaker421
What are the liability limits of that kid's ins?

Did he own the car he was driving? If not, who did, and what were their limits? (Parents?)

How much money would you guess the kid and/or the owners have, just looking at their house/lifestyle?

You can't get blood from a stone. If he has low limits, and no other responsible party with ins. and assets, you'll not get more than the limits of the policy.

+1 on chronic pain, can't have sex, scared to ever ride again, etc. until the ins. co gets serious.

$.02
Thanks to for the advice. Just a quick update. The kid is 18 and was driving a Mini Cooper, regis. to his mother. They live in the better part of town$. My friend does have a lawyer. the kids ins. will pay 80% of book value. The estiment of $5,200 was from my friends own ins.(geico). Monday he is having the bike hauled to his garage and has decided to let his lawyer act on his wishes. (like I said "thats what he's paid for") I just hate the dealer writing the estiment so high as the bike gets totaled. A side note, the dealer would not accept the estiment from Geico. Would not work with them at all. I have worked with Geico in the past and they were great. Kinda makes ya wonder...

I'll keep you all informed on the outcome.

Dave

Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Tripped1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonrider
Thanks to for the advice. Just a quick update. The kid is 18 and was driving a Mini Cooper, regis. to his mother. They live in the better part of town$. My friend does have a lawyer. the kids ins. will pay 80% of book value. The estiment of $5,200 was from my friends own ins.(geico). Monday he is having the bike hauled to his garage and has decided to let his lawyer act on his wishes. (like I said "thats what he's paid for") I just hate the dealer writing the estiment so high as the bike gets totaled. A side note, the dealer would not accept the estiment from Geico. Would not work with them at all. I have worked with Geico in the past and they were great. Kinda makes ya wonder...

I'll keep you all informed on the outcome.

Dave

Of course the dealer cranks estimates, they get more money if it isn't totalled and if it is they expect you to come back and get another bike, it's a win win for them. Just remember the dealer is rarely in it for it's customers, they want your money.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter now since the texting moron's insurance is paying but Geico was only gonna give him $5200????

I laid my '97 Lowrider down in November, dealer estimate was $6100 so State Farm totaled it, I got a check for $7200-that's after the $250 deductible. Something about that doesn't seem right.

But I hope you're friend is back up and riding soon and sues the pants off the a-hole.

Quick Reply: Totaled Low Rider