General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
luvmy03spt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmets

Being a recent owner of my first bike(Harley no doubt) I choose to wear a helmet until I get comfortable with it but some people downgrade people that wear helmets. Why? I do return waves or initiate them. It's not on the road but at times when I stop it's like I'm looked at differant just cause I have one on. I don't really care what other people think and I'm not trying to fit in with any particlular group I just want to know why do some people cut down others that wear them? If people do wear any what type do you wear? Full, 3/4 or half.

Last edited by luvmy03spt; 01-10-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kentucky has no helmet law for those over 21 and with a full unrestricted license. I do wear a helmet all the time. I have never been asked why and most of the folks I ride with also wear helmets. As to what kind, it would depend on which bike I am riding. On the Harley I wear a DOT half shell and on the crotch rocket a DOT/Snell2000 full face. Wearing a helmet is still a choice here and so it should be. However, most folks wear one.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, if you are worried what other people think of you for what you wear or what you ride, then you have issues. Do what you like to do because it's what "you" want to do, not to impress or try to fit in.
just my .02

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DZLDR
dude, if you are worried what other people think of you for what you wear or what you ride, then you have issues. Do what you like to do because it's what "you" want to do, not to impress or try to fit in.
just my .02
And AMEN to that....

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 1,716 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy03spt
Being a recent owner of my first bike(Harley no doubt) I choose to wear a helmet until I get comfortable with it but some people downgrade people that wear helmets. Why? I do return waves or initiate them. It's not on the road but at times when I stop it's like I'm looked at differant just cause I have one on. If people do wear any what type do you wear? Full, 3/4 or half.
Don't worry what others do...if you feel better wearing a helmet then do it.

I've been riding for years and feel better wearing a helmet...I don't give a chit what others think...I'm using a Shoei St Cruz half helmet, that's DOT approved and for cold weather to keep the wind off my face, I have a Bell Apex full face helmet that's DOT and Snell approved.

Edit...BTW, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by SBRob; 01-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
BIK88CHK
Banned

I wear a half helmet - but I live in Missouri and we have a mandatory helmet law. So - no choice. Went to Arkansas last summer and they don't have a helmet law. Rode some without it - but that felt odd. Don't worry what others think. I DON'T !!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
luvmy03spt
Advanced

[quote=DZLDR;4361131]dude, if you are worried what other people think of you for what you wear or what you ride, then you have issues. Do what you like to do because it's what "you" want to do, not to impress or try to fit in.
j ust my .02

I don't care what other people think and I'm not trying to fit in with anybody I just want to know why some people cut down people that wear helmets.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Candy Red
Tourer

Dude,

"You cant please everyone, so please yourself"

Its a line out of a song.

I tell new riders wear the dang thing for atleast two years.

Its a security blanket new riders may not want, but most neet.

If your riding about in a tank top and shorts, then your on the wrong track any ways.

Riding is serious business. Its the only mode of transportation that you have to armor plate yourself against being hit by others, or doing yourself in.

Types of helmets have to do with personal taste, like bikes themsleves.

Id say most Harley riders use half lids, because its the status/poser thing to do, so its as close to nothing as the law will allow.

In the old days when only racers wore helmets, they used military ones. Well, they were 3/4. So when motorcycles got popular in the 60s, guess what, they started making helmets styled after the old days ones.

Full buckets were not designed for street use. Do to the limited view area. Now a days they have corrected this
All race tracks also say you have to run a neck collar with a full helmet. Which no one seems to do on the street. Like the 3/4, folks used the full face because the racers did. It happens to be the one bucket I can not wear. Ive rode for over 45 years being about to see and hear whats around me, then react to it.

New riders are not honed to this type of riding, so the more protection you have, the better off you are.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 PM
SIXR
Banned

It's not a "downgrade" to wear a helmet. For those that tell you it is, who cares. It's your head.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, quit friggin worrying about it, wearing a helmet is a smart thing ok?

Quick Reply: Helmets