General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not even tried to pull all the stats I did when i was laid up, but the info I did find then showed that it was about 50/50 for survival when wearing a helmet and not.
But, like I said, the stats can be misleading. That number takes into account all wrecks and only divides them into who lived and who died and who wore a helmet and who didn't. It did not get into other things, like speed and type of impact. A lot of those riders would have been killed regardless of helmet use or lack there of. Biker's with helmets on are killed everyday.
In the other web page it mentions that "80 percent of all motorcycle crashes result in injury or death to the motorcyclist." They don't even mention helmets in that statement, and that is just my point. Read Snell's website and all the controversy over the Snell testing methods. The helmet will make sure your head looks pretty for the wake....in a high impact collision. Some of the supposedly "not as good" helmets with a DOT rating will actually protect you better in a lower impact crash than a Snell approved helmet.

P.S. If Indian Larry had worn one, he would probably still be with us.

Last edited by mopardave; 01-10-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mopardave
I'm guessing you limit that statement to helmets? or are you riding around in full crotch rocket race gear? I wear a helmet and I wear boots and jeans....aside from that I wear leather when it's cold....the protection the leather offers is a nice freebie.
If you really are wearing all that stuff, I stand corrected. Your name isn't Joe, is it?
http://www.joerocket.com/
Not sure where you're coming from but if you need to know, full leathers, i.e. leather overpants, jacket, boots, gloves (not fingerless).

Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tima
Not sure where you're coming from but if you need to know, full leathers, i.e. leather overpants, jacket, boots, gloves (not fingerless).

LOL I tried to find a pic of a robo-biker to show you what I meant. I was talking about the "if it offers protection, I'll wear it" statement. I know and see some crotch rocket guys that go nuts with that stuff. I'm thinking it's more of fashion statement for most of them....one that I'm not trying to make. LOL
In all seriousness though, you really wear full leathers and gloves in the summer when you ride? I don't. My safety gear consists of boots, jeans, brain and helmet. The leather jacket, chaps and gloves I reserve for cold weather.

P.S. no fingerless gloves LOL

Last edited by mopardave; 01-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

LOL I tried to find a pic of a robo-biker to show you what I meant. I was talking about the "if it offers protection, I'll wear it" statement. I know and see some crotch rocket guys that go nuts with that stuff. I'm thinking it's more of fashion statement for most of them....one that I'm not trying to make. LOL
In all seriousness though, you really wear full leathers and gloves in the summer when you ride? I don't. My safety gear consists of boots, jeans, brain and helmet. The leather jacket, chaps and gloves I reserve for cold weather.
Yes, for the most part I do. At my age I figure if I go down I want as little damage done as possible and as shortest recovery time as possible. Not at all concerned about fashion police. If I'm going around the corner to the neighborhood market I might not but that'll be the time it'll happen. In all seriousness.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I'm an ATGATT rider because it suits me, it's my posterior, my head, my bike. Concerning types of helmets, I mentioned this one that I'm curious about in a previous thread - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...shark-evoline/ . Seems to give the best of a couple of worlds, but still not sure about it.

Bill

Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Yes, for the most part I do. At my age I figure if I go down I want as little damage done as possible and as shortest recovery time as possible. Not at all concerned about fashion police. If I'm going around the corner to the neighborhood market I might not but that'll be the time it'll happen. In all seriousness.

I can understand that. I just noticed where you are also. You don't have the scorching heat and dripping humidity like we do here in Florida.

BSEA, what's a ATGATT rider?

Old 01-10-2009, 05:59 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I can understand that. I just noticed where you are also. You don't have the scorching heat and dripping humidity like we do here in Florida.

BSEA, what's a ATGATT rider?
I'm familiar with the humidity but what is this "heat" you talk about?

And if I were in a warmer climate state I'd still be wearing either the Kevlar type jeans or equivalent and mesh jackets with armor.

Last edited by tima; 01-10-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

I'm familiar with the humidity but what is this "heat" you talk about?

LOL It's this stuff that we have here in the south that makes air cooled engines struggle a bit.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

ATGATT....All the gear all the time. I do the same

Real riders don't bother with who wears what. The "weekend warriors" who get together put on their "bad *** biker" clothes and their "attitudes" then act like riders are the ones who deserve to be laughed at.

Decide what your head is worth. Despite what has been said the majority of motorcycle incidents involve head injuries and not all but the majority of those would have been avoided or reduced with a helmet. I think you are kidding yourself if you think riding for a while until you are "comfortable" is going to make a helmet unnecessary.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Moki Doug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have chosen one of the most dangerous ways to move your body around.
I have a sport bike I do all the gear on that bike because I push it to some limits.
But all that gear really deadens the sensation of what I think in the winds about.
I love riding the Harley without the skid lid and will not be scared into wearing it.
That said I have been in a bad crash that split my helmet into and took a kneecap off and broke a femur bone.
So you have to decide for yourself what freedoms worth

Quick Reply: Helmets