General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's your head and your life. Wear what you want. Can't imagine anyone else caring about it. We wear 1/2, 3/4 or full at different times and haven't been "downgraded" yet. Couldn't care less either way.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I purchased the ARAI 3/4 from J&M with their communication / speaker set up for us both - Real nice - I have worn some inexpensive helmets and that is just what they are -
I also have a 1/2 for the summer time out here - As far as wearing a helmet, it is my choice here in AZ. I had promised my better half I would - So glad I do - I have been hit with some big bugs and some small gravel that would have hurt - It is also nice when it rains - I tried a full face but did not feel comfortable - Do what you need to do for yourself - And as others have stated, forget everyone else or what THEY think -
Ride safe and enjoy -

Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in portland oregon we have a mandatory helmet law...although right across the bridge in washington they don't...when i ride in washington i still wear my helmet...don't care what others think..i don't want to see my brains on concrete...just my opinion...although i defend others rights not to

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the up side, if your brain is on the concrete, you won't see it...LOL
And sorry, the stats show that you have the same chances with or without a helmet. The helmet will protect you from the lighter hits but the big ones are still gonna kill ya.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:34 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it, who cares about others and their thoughts anyway.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
sorry, the stats show that you have the same chances with or without a helmet. The helmet will protect you from the lighter hits but the big ones are still gonna kill ya.
And where pray tell did you come up with the data to suggest that you are just as safe without a helmet as you are with one. Especially in terms of cranial trauma; ask Gary Busey about a helmet. Have you ever read the HURT study from roughly 1989 or the MAIDS study from 2004. These two are the most comprehensive studies on motorcycle accidents ever done and widely accepted by any motorcycle training facilitator.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luvmy03spt
Being a recent owner of my first bike(Harley no doubt) I choose to wear a helmet until I get comfortable with it but some people downgrade people that wear helmets. Why? I do return waves or initiate them. It's not on the road but at times when I stop it's like I'm looked at differant just cause I have one on. I don't really care what other people think and I'm not trying to fit in with any particlular group I just want to know why do some people cut down others that wear them? If people do wear any what type do you wear? Full, 3/4 or half.
the only time that i don't wear my helmet is when the road i am rideing on is rubber coated and soft any other time i will be wearing at least a 1/2 helmet

Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you be ok if you wear it. Don't worry what others think man, life is to short.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Dragon Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washington has a helmet law, don't try to ride without one. Wear what you want. I've got beanies, 1/2s, 3/4s, and modules. Can't see out of the module, but have it for the great northwest liquid sunshine. Started without a helmet (in '57) and never have liked them, oh well, too bad-so sad. LEO say to wear them. And there are other more important thing to fight/protest about.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The numbers are the numbers. If half of the wrecks with head injuries occurred with and the other half with head injuries occurred without.....that kinda sums it up.
A 14 year old study in Europe does not really translate to the US and now.
The Hurt Study has a long list of their findings and I can only assume that they eventually mention helmuts...but I don't have time to read all that.
I'm not gonna argue the point, why don't you give Bell Helmuts a call and see what they tell you about accidents that occur above 20 mph? You may be surprised by their answers.

P.S. You will find that it's difficult to get the stats I'm talking about. Most of the studies that have been done were paid for by the government or insurance companies. The fact is that "80 percent of all motorcycle crashes result in injury or death to the motorcyclist."
They like to say things like,"469 people were killed in Florida in motorcycle accidents in 2005. (Fatalities have steadily increased each year since Florida repealed its universal helmet law in 2000.)" and conveniently leave out the fact that the number of riders on the road have gone up extremely fast in the past few years. I blame stupid tv shows and the fuel prices for that.
"The Outcome of Motorcycle Accidents:
Because of the force of a collision with a much heavier car or striking a fixed object, motorcyclist injuries are more likely to be permanent, catastrophic, or fatal. Brain injury and spinal injury occur at a higher rate, and broken bones and road rash can be severe, disabling injuries."
" Motorcyclists should strongly consider carrying as much uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage as possible. Because the motorcyclist is more likely to sustain substantial injury in a collision, the standard no-fault liability coverage and even the baseline UM/UIM coverage may be inadequate. If the other driver has no insurance or if their policy limit is low, you would not be fully compensated for your losses, even if the other driver is 100 percent at fault. Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer or your insurance agent to discuss your policy's protection in the event of a serious crash."
"Motorcyclists should strongly consider carrying as much uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage as possible. Because the motorcyclist is more likely to sustain substantial injury in a collision, the standard no-fault liability coverage and even the baseline UM/UIM coverage may be inadequate. If the other driver has no insurance or if their policy limit is low, you would not be fully compensated for your losses, even if the other driver is 100 percent at fault. Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer or your insurance agent to discuss your policy's protection in the event of a serious crash."
This is all posted here:

http://www.motorcycle-florida.com/accident-stats.htm

It is a site for a law firm.
One thing that is a fact for sure....the woman who spear-headed the fight to change our helmut laws here in Florida died from a head injury from a motorcycle accident that was not her fault. She would have died wearing a helmut, too.

Like I already said, i wear a hlmet now and I reccommend that everyone does, when asked, but no one should think that they are really protected because they are wearing a helmet. My injuries were life threatening and they had nothing to do with my head. This happens a lot.

Last edited by mopardave; 01-10-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: Helmets