General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe in it's the riders choice. My state does not require a helmet for those over 21, but I do wear a helmet. I have a couple 1/2 helmets, a 3/4 and a couple full face. I normally wear the 1/2's. The full face is good in the rain.

Like the others have said, don't worry what others think, it is not a contest to see who is "The real Biker". Be your own person.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Just wear one... it's safer.

If you want one that's not too cumbersome you might like this...

I like it. It's extremely comfortable. And unlike others I've tried doesn't feel
like a VW sitting on your head.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
luvmy03spt
Advanced

Originally Posted by pensacolaharley
Just wear one... it's safer.

If you want one that's not too cumbersome you might like this...

I like it. It's extremely comfortable. And unlike others I've tried doesn't feel
like a VW sitting on your head.
What brand is that? I currently have a hjc full face. It's perfect for cold weather riding but need something for the warmer months.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone is worried about your head and what's on it while you ride, then THEY have a problem, not you.
The helmet was invented for a reason.
The fact is, nothing will guarantee anything. If you wear a helmet or not, your chances of survival are the same....according to the stats here in Florida. Me personally? I used to ride without a helmet, not anymore. I have always had helmets but did not wear them. Like I said, I do now. It's a personal choice and if someone is judging you over your wearing of a helmet, then they are just dumb. I don't go around saying real bright stuff like "no brain, no bucket", but I still reccommend wearing one when asked.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BIK88CHK
I wear a half helmet - but I live in Missouri and we have a mandatory helmet law. So - no choice. Went to Arkansas last summer and they don't have a helmet law. Rode some without it - but that felt odd. Don't worry what others think. I DON'T !!!!

I don't think anyone even notices that you have a helmet on.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some things that have come up here that to me are very misleading. Yeah, if you get in a crash you are better off with a helmet than without. Yeah, you are even better off with a full face than a half shell or 3/4. Yeah, the original FF helmets were a problem as the view was only 120 degrees an Bell even had the Star 120 which I had and did get a ticket for using on the street. No, your hearing isn't reduced at all by using a FF helmet. In fact, it is improved simply because the frequency of noise you are trying to hear isn't reduced; hazard noise. Rather, all the wind noise that is generally associated with an open face or half shell is dang near eliminated. I am a switch rider so street and dirt are my playground. I have cruisers, a sportbike and dirt bikes. I wear FF, half shell and MX style helmets. To me there are advantages and disadvantages to them all. Point is, who cares, get one that fits well, is comfortable and serves the perpose you want it to serve. Aside from this, anything else is meaningless.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't remember who makes the helmet but here's a link to a couple
of vendors... I'm at work and didn't ride today because of rain.

http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=539

http://www.sjfdistributor.com/mm5/me...egory_Code=SKL

Neither of these sites show the manufacturer... sorry but the
helmet is extremely comfortable and DOT approved.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
BobcatBob
Cruiser

While I have chosen to alway ride with a helmet, it goes back 40 years when my Dad bought me a motorcycle and said, if you want to ride this, you will wear this. Or something to the sort. As with any reinforced habit, I still wear it.
The above chart was from this site: http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm
I don't know of the validity of this site, or the chart (if it posts), but may help you decide.
As for waving: If you wave at me, I will return it, if you don't see it, it may have just been a nod or a mental, backatcha. RockOnDude

Old 01-10-2009, 02:21 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone just keep in mind that generally, the helmet is a good thing. It has been argued that they can cause neck injuries but this is probably a rare occurence. If my wife and I had been wearing half helmets when we got hit by that drunk, I may not have cracked my scull, but my wifes face would have hit the back of my helmet instead of my head. That would have been far worse for her so I'm kinda glad we were not wearing one at that time for that reason.
On the flip side, my wife no longer rides....yet, so that is no longer an issue for me.

It's no fun getting staples in your head!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 PM
stratosphere
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife wears a helmet to protect her thinking muscle, she bought me a athletic cup to protect mine

Quick Reply: Helmets