General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does scheduled service need be done by Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several dealers around here are offering the first couple of services as an incentive to move their new bikes. Independent shops work harder and pay more attention to your bike because they want your business. Find a good independent shop that sells and installs tires. They are usually cheaper and faster than the dealership, both for the tires themselves and the service. It's kinda frustrating when you have a flat tire and the dealership says their next available opening is three days later...

Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
You are being forced to pay for time you didn't actually get.
No, what you are paying for is a tech that can beat the established time providing the operation is done to spec. You'll also note the flat rate manual also makes adjustments for other than class A techs not that it is ever used in that manner. By the same token that tech better be damn good if he is doing your warranty work where that time drops to below the established flat rate. Yeah, below the established flat rate and by roughly 30% too. also id the fact that if the part is for some reason screwed up or screws up after installation that tech does the job over but not at the rate he was originally paid for doing it, at the warranty rate so he loses. Now, you want to complain about something, complain about the fact the agency may be charging 90 dollars a flat rate hour but ask the tech how much of that he is actually getting. In many cases it is between 20 and 25 percent for the best tech they may have. Years ago it was 50/50.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dealer includes the first 1000 mile service with the bike. So I had them do it. But I would have them do the first one just to document that the oil was changed out. Then get a manual & keep a log in a spiral notebook with date/mileage and receipts for oil & filters etc. Then you are covered.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great first post PLHBrian. I'm due for my first service and the info provided here is very helpfull to me as well. I think I'll take mine in for it's first and do the next couple myself.
Good example of how informative this forum can be as some of our friends here really know their stuff.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with mopardave... buy a manual and DIY.