General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving cross country with bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 AM
nighttraingirl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving cross country with bikes

Well, I am faced right now with the thought of possibly moving cross country. East coast to New Mexico. I don't know what I am going to do right now. My company is laying off and we don't know when. Just "January'. I don't know if I am among the layoffs and if I am not in the "first wave" we all have the feeling there will be more later....
My best friend lives in New Mexico and would like me to move there.... I think it not a too bad idea. I have visited there twice and didn't want to leave the last time.. So in front of me are new beginnings, and that. Thinking of it eventually even if I don't get laid off. ANYHOW
I've got my Nighttrain and an older Yamaha that I need to move. I'd probably not have a problem parting with most of the usual household furniture such as couch and bedroom set, washer and dryer... But I do have some antique things and personal items that I won't let go. Trunks, guns, clocks....You get the idea... for the most part, it will all fit in boxes. But not all of it..
I don't know or have the slightest clue how to begin moving this stuff. My sole cage is a 2000 Nissan Frontier. (dodging thrown items). So what I wanted to know... what do I do?
Try to pack all this crap in the back of my Fronty and around the bikes on an open trailer, and tow it? Get a large closed trailer and try to pack things around the bikes? Rent a Uhaul and stow the bikes in the back behind my things and tow my truck? Can I even put two bikes in the back of a Uhaul? Do they have floor tie downs? I'm really confused. I don't really know what I am going to do yet. I'm leaning towards moving, and just would like to have a clue how to do it!
NT girl

Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 AM
LimeNine9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just yesterday I seen a U-Haul towing a U-Haul car trailer with a Michigan licensed '97 Mustang, following was a Michigan licensed '05 Supercrew towing a Michigan licensed '68 Mustang Fastback. . . And was thinking that these folks have lost their jobs in Michigan and are traveling west on I-70 with everything they own.

So Yep, I'd rent a U-Haul box truck, and strap the bikes in, load other things around the bikes, rent a car trailer to load yer truck onto. done deal.

good luck, wish I could help.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior

go to ABF's upack. com , and see what 3 containers would cost to ship there , prolly be about what u would need , knew a guy that put 3 harleys (1 in each and used 2 other for household goods , you will have to figure out the best way to tie down .... only etrack in wall , but can be done , prolly less than half the cost of loading & driving a rental truck ( if u do that rent the biggest..... really is the cheapest way to go , and everything fits the 1st time , plus the 24 footers are diesel and get better mpg than the smaller one's)the ABF containers have aluminum floors but , I don't think u would have problems with them if u secured a bike chock down with 3 or 4 larger self tapping (or pre drill slightly smaller than the 3/8 screw u may use , harbor frieght has one I bought & worked great with my Ultra Classic sideways on an open trailer with my racecar here's a link to the chock: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97841
Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, take a breath, Gurl.
Have moved more than one scoot cross country, and have moved my household numerous times, US Navy and then job changes.
Personally, I prefer the rent a truck, and tow the cage. Boxes and furniture to the front. Scoots in the back. I used self tapping or wood lags (depending on floor of truck) to hold chocks down, and eyebolts to anchor to. But I sorta like to be 'in charge' of my destiny, and my possessions.

When we hauled the chop home from Tuscon, used a 10' Ryder truck. They almost paid us, to drive it to Mn. (Way more going TO Az, than FROM, so they have overstock (?, too many) there.

Jus' from your posting, I believe it's a workable job for you.

Good luck on your decision, BUT sorry to hear 'bout YET another member, losing a job.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 AM
hdbe
Road Master

i agree with DAG...take a breath and don't panic....a move is very workable.... the above ideas are all good to check out...and if you are specifically worried about moving the bike...i know people who have taken snowmobiles to shipping companies who will wrap/crate/insure/ and ship the item to a specific location for a fair price....they have had very good success and no damage....you might want to look into that as an option.....

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We just rented a 24' Ryder diesel for the kids to move from Indy to Dallas. Reasonable and hauled a housefull. Best suggestions are above IMHO. Buy a couple of chocks and lag bolt to truck floor, put the Nissan on an auto dolley behind the truck.

Just be certain to brace anything near the bikes so it does not shift and fall!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
bigbrokah
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The medium sized U-Haul closed trailers have tie down loops about a foot off the deck, they work fine. I relo'd from CT to TX last year, and while it was a company move (co. paid for movers) I didn't trust them with my Road King... My old neighbor in CT was cool enough to make the trip with me, and we drove straight thru (36 hours in an F-150 with a pitbull and a weimaraner) the bike arrived unscathed.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like your pretty well covered with the other posts. You didn't say if there are two drivers or not. If so,one drive the Nissan and tow the bikes and the other drive a rental truck and haul house hold stuff.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
nighttraingirl
Tourer

Hey, thanks for all the tips, everyone. I was leaning toward the box truck idea and towing the Frontier on a dolly, also. And to answer the question, there will be 2 drivers.
NTgirl

Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ZYou can also check into PODS, portable on demand storage. You can pack you stuff in their container at your pace, they will then ship it and store it for as long as you need. then you can rent an enclosed uhaul trailer and put the bikes in it and tow it behind your Pickup. They are a very unique service. look them up..