General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
rak1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?

I was just wondering how you feel about taking someone else’s life in your hands when you ride. My wife wants to ride on back with me but I want her to take a MSF course and get her MC, and own scoot. I know it sounds funny but I'm having problems taking her life in my hands because its one thing to crash, but if I hurt her or worst that’s something I don't know I could handle. She has told me she completely trusts me but you know what can happen while riding. how do the rest of you do it?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't her life in your hands when you drive the car?
Its up to you , but I don't ride and think the worst could happen. I am aware of the danger, and try to ride to minimize it, but I don't dwell on it. So, if someone wants to go for a ride I don't give it a second thought, just ride safe and enjoy!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sad as it is accidents do happen. Whether you are two up or not. How would you feel watching her run off a road if she underestimates a turn? All I can suggest is to never take wild chances when two up. No drinking or drugs, no racing or showing off. Then if something terrible does happen you are not at greater fault. Just be extra cautious.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:12 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Count yourself forturnate you have a loving partner who trusts your driving. Lots of posters here bemoan the fact their significent other won't ride with them.

And then drive to live up to her expectations.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my ride worrying about her on her own bike.Not that she probably wouldn't be a fine rider,(she has no wish for her own),I believe I would never relax.
My Wife and I have logged thousands of miles 2 up, some of our best memories.That said, If you aren't up for it, don't take her.

Mark

Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
rak1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 04harleyboy
Its up to you , but I don't ride and think the worst could happen. I am aware of the danger, and try to ride to minimize it, but I don't dwell on it. So, if someone wants to go for a ride I don't give it a second thought, just ride safe and enjoy!
True, but in a car or truck you have air bags, etc. On a bike they hit you and if you dump it it's just you and the road. I think I just have to get over it and like you said think of the positives and not the possible negatives.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess a lot depends on how comfortable you are and how much experience you have on your bike. Sounds like you're the one not ready for a passenger. We have a class here especially for two up riding. Might be an option. Just got the wife her own little starter bike and signed up for the msf class in March. I'm worried sick about that! Rather have her on back with me than on her own but that's what she wants.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

My wife rides her own Roadking, but does as well like to ride behind me at times.. If you don't trust your riding skills, putting a passenger on the back is probibly a bad idea.. After 35+ years of riding I still am a very aware rider and am always looking for everyone out there to do something stupid to put me in harms way.. And they don't disapoint me. Fortunantly I'm ready and have always avoided any mishaps..

Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
forty-10
Stage IV

My girlfriend loves to ride with me and wants to go out all the time. I love having her with me and we totally enjoy the experience together. I ride a little differently as far as speed and cornering etc though. I dont look at it any differently than any other outing we have together in that we do it as a couple and it makes our relationship that much better. The dynamics of having our own rides would really be different. Some of the best times we have had lately have been riding two up, together, with her holding tight. I mean really, isn't that what being a couple is all about? Don't stress over the what if's, just do it and enjoy it. Life's far too short to not have fun.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 04harleyboy
I concur...
I'm always on point, but very much more with the wife on the back and try to minimize any sticky situations.

Originally Posted by rak1
True, but in a car or truck you have air bags, etc. On a bike they hit you and if you dump it it's just you and the road. I think I just have to get over it and like you said think of the positives and not the possible negatives.
Can't let it consume you to the point where you're a nervous Norvis wreck waiting to happen...that would defeat the the whole purpose

It is definately different than riding solo..that's for sure

Quick Reply: riding two-up; do you have a problem with it?